PC WORLD ADVERT

shaduf 20:37 31 Mar 04

Half page advert in todays Telegraph shows three laptops and other items.

Headline is “UK’s LOWEST PRICES” (with a small asterisk).

Bottom of page says (small asterisk)

All major high street, out of town and web retailers checked 30/03/04 against equivalent models and specifications. We will give you 110% of the difference back if you can find a lower price for the same product and offer from another retail store. etc etc.

These two sentences seem to contradict each other – is the claim “UK’s LOWEST PRICES” for the same product or equivalent product? Does it include web retailers or not?

How can you claim UK’s LOWEST PRICES in the largest print size in the advert and then in tiny print at the bottom exclude all but retail stores. Aren’t web retailers in the UK?

Is it all confusing, misleading or am I having a ‘senior moment’

Sir Radfordin 21:04 31 Mar 04

Even the great John Lewis don't price match websites (or at least not the last time I checked).

Personally I think thats fair, a web business is something very different to a retail store and you can't expect them to compete solely on price.

John Lewis would've price matched Scan (click here) as you can buy from them in person.

Advertising is always full of small print. I don't believe PCW are trying anything anyone else wouldn't.

Diodorus Siculus 22:35 31 Mar 04

Sir Radfordin - John Lewis donen't anymore but did once upon a time. I bought a laptop from them back in 1998 on a price match guarantee which saved me some £200 on their instore price and got a two year warranty as standard. It's a real shame that they stopped that.

Incidently, the laptop is still going strong... albeit in another part of Europe which it seems happy about.

Forum Editor 22:50 31 Mar 04

that's aimed at the retail market to be limited to comparison with other retail outlets. I'm personally surprised that PC World allow online retailers to be included in their 'price difference' pledge, but they do, so why complain.

I don't see anything misleading in the wording you've reported.

computernerdiamnot 00:14 01 Apr 04

look on=line and take it in to pcw if it is lower in price which it will be and see what they do.and take in the newspaper article to back you up. drinks will be on you ...............

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:40 01 Apr 04

PC stores+large no.of employees+extortionate rates+high building costs+eye-watering leccy bills vs. Internet shifters+warehouses in middle of nowhere+few staff+rate rebates for being located in the sink areas of the UK+appalling staff pay+naff all bonuses. Are these Keynesian economics difficult to understand?

/eyes raise.

G

alan2206 01:05 01 Apr 04

i agree with gandalf

simonp1 07:51 01 Apr 04

so what is a WEB RETALIER....over clockers.com in stoke sell on the web, i often go to the shop and purchase my products their..never on the web. They are so much cheaper than PC World, so would that account for a refund...??

Sir Radfordin 09:16 01 Apr 04

Depends on how PCW feel. As stated above I used this approach with John Lewis who were happy to accept that Scan were selling something direct over the counter for a lower price.

Are Scan/Overclockers web-tailers who sell over the counter, or retail shops who also have a mail order serivce.

davidg_richmond 09:23 01 Apr 04

Scan are a web business with a retail outlet or two, wholly different from a retailer with a web presence.

Cutting store overheads can cut anything between 15 and 30% off the price of a product in real terms.

simonp1 10:10 01 Apr 04

Sir Radfordin

Well i would consider Dabs a web retailer, as they can only be contacted via the web.. Overclockers, well you can go to the shop and purchase the products, and take them away. So i would consider these to be retail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…