PC Warranty

Bucksboy 12:23 20 May 03

Should I have been given acopy of the terms of the warranty attached to my PC on purchase. Also should the company have warned me that unless they were informed the waranty would be void if any peripherals such as a CDR-W were fitted after purchase.

davidg_richmond 12:45 20 May 03

This depends on the manufacturer, but terms and conditions of warranties should be provided as standard. Some companies are quite coy about the upgrade policy, it is best to ask them about this.

bfoc 14:43 20 May 03

It might depend on how you ordered!

If you ordered online, then you may have 'accepted' their terms and conditions by ticking a box. Those may have contained stipulations about upgrades.

In essence if you were made aware of conditions at the time of purchase you will have a hard job complaining, although people have successfully argued that some conditions are unfair and unreasonable even afterwards. It is very tough though.

On the other hand if you were not even given the opportunity to peruse any conditions the situation might be somewhat easier to argue.

In all honesty however this area of what a consumer did and should know and what the supplier needs to explain is quite a complex area, since there are so many variables that it is not, I believe, always easy to see which precedents apply.

But as a rule of thumb if anything you did might have lead to a fault you would not be covered, if the fault could not, in any way, be due to the upgrade, then you might have a case. The real difficulty is proving it, unless the computer was bought in the last month when you might find it easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…