PC TV cards and TV Licensing

Stuartli 13:38 21 Nov 05

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who has bought an internal or external PC TV card ever had to provide details of their name and address to the supplier?

The reason I ask is because of the following demand on TV Licensing's website from retailers who sell products capable of receiving TV broadcasts:

"What sort of information do we need to give you?

"What type of equipment it is (TV, video recorder, DVD recorder, set-top box, PC with broadcast card etc) - although this data is optional it is really valuable information and your help is appreciated."

Obviously TV and radio outlets do it as a matter of course (heavy fines liable if they don't), but I've never been asked whenever I've bought a PC TV card...:-)

HondaMan 13:49 21 Nov 05

The onus is on you, the user, to obtain a licence if you have "a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card".

Failure to purchase a licence WILL render you liable to prosecution. The suppliers of TV cards and similar items probably do not HAVE to do it as do TV retailers, but that des not change the liability on you to ensure that you have the required licence.

So, living at home with a TV you do not need a licence, but in a student bed-sit with no TV, you do.

jbp1982 13:57 21 Nov 05

"So, living at home with a TV you do not need a licence, but in a student bed-sit with no TV, you do."

?

I lived in a bed sit and had to buy a tv license, as I do in my house now. If you have any equipment capable of recieving tv broadcasts you need a license.

I think unless you can argue that you do not watch TV. that is have a tv and dvd player with no aerial at all for example. That may get you off the hook but I'm not sure.

The last time I bought a TV card I wasn't asked either. But the other day when I bought a portable tv for my daughter in Argos they did. But either way you NEED a license if you have TV receiving equipment or pay £1000 fine.

Curio 14:33 21 Nov 05

What Hondaman meant was - As a a TVLicence holder, purchase of A PC TV Card does not need a further TV Licence for that address

Stuartli 14:44 21 Nov 05

I'm well aware of what you are saying - the question I asked was if anyone had been requested to provide their name and address when buying a PC TV card?

pj123 15:12 21 Nov 05

Three options here.

1. If you buy off the internet then you have to supply your name and address otherwise they can't deliver.

2. Buying locally. Some retailers ask for details because it is part of the guarantee.
(Comet, Curries etc..)

3. Paying cash in a local small PC shop. (or even a big one). My friend bought a TV card from Aldi some time ago. No questions asked. Just had a till receipt, nothing itemised. Of course the TV card wasn't any good and is now in the bin. So, depending on how you pay there does not seem to be any obligation on the retailer to inform the TV Licensing authority that you have bought a TV card for a PC.

Stuartli 15:20 21 Nov 05

>>there does not seem to be any obligation on the retailer to inform the TV Licensing authority that you have bought a TV card for a PC.>>

But there IS an obligation...:-)

See:

click here

pj123 16:31 21 Nov 05

Notice that says TV Dealers. Not Food Stores, Newsagents, DIY stores, etc. All of whom now seem to sell anything they want.

Stuartli 16:38 21 Nov 05

Agreed. But Dixons, Currys, Comet etc are TV retailers and also sell PC TV cards...:-)

Seems like TV Licensing may have shot itself in the foot - there's currently a debate in another forum whether the TV detector vans can actually do what they are supposed to do or whether they just chase up occupiers of addresses unregistered for a TV licence?

jbp1982 16:44 21 Nov 05

I loved the advert where the guy plays a recording of a chicken cooking, making the telly look like an oven. lol.

I suppose they should ask for an address, pc retailers.

Either way the license should be scrapped and the bbc made to fend for itself with advertising. They already make loads of merchandising and so on.

PaulB2005 16:58 21 Nov 05

"Notice that says TV Dealers. Not Food Stores, Newsagents, DIY stores, etc. All of whom now seem to sell anything they want."

Woolworths ask for details and so did Safeways when i bought a TV from there 5 years ago.

Note:

If you sell or rent TV receiving equipment, under The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) - you are required to notify us within 28 days of each transaction, providing full details of the purchaser or hirer.

This includes the sale or rental of any new or second-hand:

TVs
VCRs
DVD recorders
Set-top boxes
PCs with broadcast (TV) cards
TV cards

Also

It is an offence not to notify us of every transaction. Failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £1,000 per offence for you, or the store manager employed by your company.

Recently a major retailer was fined a total of £14,400 plus £1,350 costs for failing to notify TV Licensing of television equipment sales and rentals in 3 of its stores.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…