PC specification help

Mdosan 02:17 23 Sep 08

Hi,

I'm currently trying to find out what sort specification I will need for a new PC, not being very tech savvy I thought id canvas your opinions.

Basically I'm looking for a PC that will last me for the next 3 years minimum, its mostly going to be used for word processing, music, films and some gaming.

I don't mind after an initial purchase upgrading the GPU or adding extra ram to keep gaming on the machine reasonable. So if any of your suggestions focus on what PSU, processor or motherboard I won't mind.

My budget is small around £400 for an the initial set up.

Also any suggestions about were to buy from would be useful, judging from previous posts cougar Extreme looks good.

Thanks for your help.

PS, I apologies in advance for getting any technical words wrong

The Kestrel 14:47 23 Sep 08

I suggest you ring Cougar and speak to them direct. Tell them what you want your PC to do and how much you have to spend. They will then be able to talk you through putting together a suitable system within your budget.

Why wont it work 14:53 23 Sep 08

Well assuming that you will be running Windows Vista, processor wise look for an Intel Core 2 Duo (or Quad if you want to futureproof further). Any speed will do really, they're all fast, although of course the higher the mhz/ghz the faster it will be.

Also look for a minimum of 2gb ram, anything less and Vista runs like a slug on sleeping tablets. In terms of a graphics card a Radeon 3650/4650 or above or Nvidia 8600GT/9500GT or above should be sufficient for light gaming.

If you're buying a pre-built system you don't really need to worry about the PSU or motherboard, whoever builds it will put in ones which are capable enough. Hope that helps

GaT7 17:11 23 Sep 08

If your budget doesn't include a monitor, I'd suggest this quad-core Dell with an OS for £299 click here.

Couple of upgrades:

9800GT 512Mb graphics card click here = £88 (choose free del at checkout)

1Gb RAM click here = £12

I doubt you'll get a better price for the PC + components from anywhere, unless you self-build may be. G

Mdosan 16:25 25 Sep 08

Is it difficult to fit a new graphics card into a one of those Dell Inspiron 530 cases?

I've only ever fitted on into a massive tower base unit.

Thanks for your help people.

GaT7 19:31 25 Sep 08

Compared to a 'massive tower' (& the length of the 9800GT) this particular Dell case would feel cramped, but it is possible.

Before installing, make sure to download the latest drivers from nVidia/ATi depending on the graphics card purchased.

Also ensure to connect the PCI-E connector from PSU to the graphics card after fitting it into the correct slot (PCI-E), & before turning on the PC. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…