PC Service Call/DSG Laptop hinge cracked

acrobat270 16:23 06 Oct 03

Ok, have noticed a crack in one of the hinges on my laptop. The weight of the screen is the cause and it is steadily growing. Phoned service call as still under extended warranty. They say the crack is 'cosmetic damage' and therefore will do nothing. Advised that unless the problem prevents the computer from being useable then they will do nothing.

I explained I felt the problem is structural damage and that the hinge should not start cracking under weight of the screen as the laptop is designed to have the lid opened and shut each day. Also explained this to DSG when service call refused to budge on the issue.

I feel I should not have to wait until hinge disintegrates completely (which could be outside of the warranty) or have to be selective with use of the laptop to avoid putting strain on the hinge incase it breaks.

Any advice on how to proceed or similar problems would be gratefully recceived. Laptop is an advent 5480dvd, bought through Dixons

Cheers for any help/advice.

Sir Radfordin 16:58 06 Oct 03

Grey area really. If the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage then I think you will strugle to claim.

It would be very hard for you to prove this was a fault with the machine, in the same way that DSG would find it very hard to prove it wasn't a design fault and something you had caused (please note I'm not saying you did!)

If you have got the laptop insured then I would speak to the insurance company about the matter and see if they will cover it as acidental damage.

It may be that you need to get it looked at by an independent assor to determine if its just a wear and tear problem or caused by a design fault, or accidental (or deliberate?) damage.

May be worth finding out what the cost of the repair is going to be and take it from there.

spuds 19:43 06 Oct 03

As Sir Rad as stated,your claim could be in a 'grey area'. I would suggest that you consult with the trading standards as to your concern about the Advent 5480. Perhaps they hold further information as to the durability of this model, and whether it is 'fit for the purpose'. Half an hour with the trading standards, could perhaps solve your problem very quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…