PC Sellers and After Sale Service.

Micromagic 23:51 30 Jun 05

PC Sellers/Resellers and After Sale Service.

Almost all PC Magazines nowadays publish,
reviews of various models of some manufactures.

These reviews, generally, cover a number
points which is very welcomed by most
PC users as well as the manufacturers and
sellers alike.
These reviews add several thousands of
pounds worth of sale to the vendors. Yet,
none of the PC magazines (at least I have not
seen any) include a single word about vendor’s
efficacy of their after sales service.
Having read so many threads in more than one
PC magazines, I could see the following
points of frictions.
1. The PC arrives with different specifications
from the order sheet.
2. The PC arrives dead in water. Although I
am aware of the story where the customer tried
to switch on the PC without plugging into wall
socket and gets to the telephone to complain.
If only this was true in majority of the cases.
3. The review model is absent from the vendor’s
website i.e. the PC magazine published a review
of an imaginary product.
4. In these days of Information revolution,
it is a pity that most PC manufacturers and sellers
quite deliberately refrain from responding to telephone
calls and Emails.
Letters don’t fare any better, even with the Recorded
Delivery.
It may be the business ethics and morality are at the
nadir in these parts of the British life.

It is high time that PC magazines should start including
a grading for the customer relations of each of the
company included in their reviews.

I wonder if the PC magazines would start publishing
a pro forma order sheet which could be a valid legal
document under the 1974 Act of Sale of Goods.
A reader who orders a PC using this order sheet, should
be helped by the magazine, in case of a tardy service of
the vendor by taking up the case with the company.

If a sustained campaign against the unethical activities of
the vendors can be maintained for some time, then
buyers may have some basic after sale services from

these rogues in present day British business life.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:06 01 Jul 05

Impossible to ascertain. For example, I have bought over 70 computers from PCWorld and I have had superb sevice and advice. There are many people on this forum that would not touch PCW with a barge pole. Who is right?

There is a current thread about Medion computers and their 'lack of after-sales' .I have had superb service from them; there is always two sides to every tale.

G

Aspman 11:33 01 Jul 05

It's not always consistant either. I've had diabolical service from Dell/Evesham and I've also had very good service from Dell/Evesham.

So how would you gauge customer service for a magazine review and how would you ensure that that 'score' was representative?

I'm not picking fault with your thinking I'm just not sure how it could be done.

961 11:57 01 Jul 05

Some magazines, including this one, attempt from time to time to get a handle on customer service but it has to be admitted that it is a very difficult area for cost reasons alone.

Equally customer service goes up and down in quality, often within short periods of time for very many reasons

PCPro magazine produces an annual reader survey in which it asks its readers which companies they would buy from again and which they would recommend to friends. I think this is about as close as you are going to get. That magazine is more slanted to the business user but the survey is nevertheless useful

Aspman 13:03 01 Jul 05

I think 961 presents the best (only?) option. Possibly a retrospective survey much like the JDPower surveys carried out by Top Gear would be the way to go.

Customer service is too variable and fickle to judge on a snapshop.

Micromagic 14:11 10 Aug 05

It is quite clear from not only this thread that if someone buys over 20 PC from one vendor, the attention he will receive would be different from the one who buys one PC.
This may be the present day way of the world.
That is why, it is imperative that we should all follow a customer friendly strict code of prctise for PC purchase. In this respect the oxygen of publicity from the computer procuct & news publishers have a special duty and opportunity to play a pro bono publico role.

scotty 15:34 10 Aug 05

PCPro do an annual survey which addresses customer support. It makes quite interesting reading. One thing I have noticed over the years is the consistent high placing of Evesham for customer support. That is not to say they always come up smelling of roses in all aspects (I recall a couple of years back that they had a high "dead on arrival" rate).

Maverick81 17:28 12 Aug 05

I think its fair to say that any customer satisfaction survey can be wrong when it comes to arriving at conclusions and every survey should be taken with a pince or two of salt.

I personally go off recommendations from friends and family when looking to purchase anything.

Aslong as you do your homework you should be ok.

I have suffered at the hands of some retailers and never gone back.

But of all the industries I have worked in doing customers services and technical helplines for the PC industry was on the hardest things I have done. Lots of know it all's , viruses etc etc etc
badly written software , poor hardware.

PC users expect an awful lot in most circumstances from mediaocre hardware customers who have bought £399 systems expecting them to play the latest games and or rip DVD's at record speeds. Expectations need to be more real there is no such thing as a "Bargain high spec PC"

Mav :-)

pavvi 17:50 12 Aug 05

What PCA and other magazines could do would be to 'mystery shop' individual manutacturers and retailers and guage them on their service levels. You wouldn't need to acrually have to buy a product from them you would just make up an issue. I work for Carphone Warehouse and mobile phone magazines regularly mystery shop us and give reviews about the standards of our customer services. The company views these as important and rewards people with incentive points. I was mystery shopped got full marks and got points equivalent in value to £100. This cojld help provide an incentive to manufacturers and retailers to provide good service. Every other area of retail is already using mystery shopping to guage service PC's should not be exempt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…