PC repair and service programmes........

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:25 10 Jan 04

My nephew, who is very competent at repairing computers, wants to create a CD of programmes that he can lug around to help him repair or service home computers, at their owner's houses (better not to encourage network trouble-shooting yet;-)) ).

So could we get the PCA hive mind concentrated on posting up any programmes that will help him? Preferably freeware but chuck in the pay-up versions and I'll cough up the wonga as a pressie for him. I've suggested Winzip (quite a few people do not have this and it is handy for running any zipped progs on his CD), RegSeeker and Aida32 as starters.

G

powerless 19:32 10 Jan 04
  powerless 19:34 10 Jan 04
  spuds 19:39 10 Jan 04

Run a check through Snapfile click here or Webattack click here same company different domain on their freeware download section, plenty to choice from.

Nice little one click here

spuds 19:41 10 Jan 04

Whoops should have been Snapfiles click here

cycoze 20:39 10 Jan 04

MDU.exe Modem Help Diagnostic Utility from click here , dialups .

EditPad Lite from click here will open most Windows files even index.dat .

BHODemon from click here .

Cacheman from click here .

Always worth having the latest Internet utilities , and other misc stuff on CD to save people downloading them , IE , WMP , DirectX , Adobe Acrobat , AVG , Outpost or zone alarm , SpybotSD , AD-aware etc etc .

Document listing startup files and associated programs (plenty of sites online) .

MajorGeeks is worth a look click here for downloads .

Sir Radfordin 22:58 10 Jan 04

You can be sure that you'll always need something you don't have! I carry about 50 CDs with me most of the time I know I'm likely to meet someone who wants a computer fixed.

Something that is often a great help is being able to get online so having the dial up number/username/ password of another ISP to the one people normally use can save a heck of a lot of time. Especially when they have forgotten their passwords.

Feck 23:03 10 Jan 04

Do you by any chance work for a non PC World company ??????????

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:12 10 Jan 04

:-)))))

G

jimv7 00:10 11 Jan 04

Free dial up click here free anti virus click here free firewall click here these are available as downloads and register during the install.

Forum Editor 08:01 11 Jan 04

as it might be, I ensure that I travel with CDs containing all the big Microsoft downloads - Service packs etc.

I can guarantee that almost every client I visit needs at least one update - private clients often have only a 56k connection, and often don't want to 'waste time' as they put it downloading the updates.

Apart from that, I carry CDs with common virus fixes, plus all the usual stuff that's been mentioned by other people.

I also make a point of running a database with every client's personal details - including their usernames and passwords as appropriate. I use a code number system similar to that employed by estate agents for house keys, so that clients aren't identifiable to anyone else, and I password protect the database file as well. It's surprising how often I need to refer to this information, because clients habitually forget rarely-used logins and so on. The database contains details of each client's installed software and configuration details (if necessary) together with dates of visits. It's invaluable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…