PC (or laptop) to replace TV

pauleboy 11:47 07 Nov 10

Hi
I don't watch a lot of TV and most of the programmes I view are available on the BBC iPlayer etc. I am seriously thinking of not bothering with a TV at all when the digital switchover occurs in my area and just use a PC or laptop to view iPlayer or listen to radio or play the odd DVD. It may also be useful to link to a bigger monitor and external speakers (wirelessly?)

Has anybody else gone done this route and could recommend a system? Are there any good sites or reviews that cover this area and give some good advice?

Cheers

Paul

AL47 13:38 07 Nov 10

ive gone down a slightly different route

i have a pc with a tv tuner in it, use windows media center like sky plus and with terabytes of space almost unlimited recording

i have a 24in monitor so i would say go the PC route, youre going to need a monitor laptop or pc

is it just iplayer etc or would you rather a tuner card like mine? [it also plays and records simultaneously via dual tuners

AL47 13:38 07 Nov 10

ive gone down a slightly different route

i have a pc with a tv tuner in it, use windows media center like sky plus and with terabytes of space almost unlimited recording

i have a 24in monitor so i would say go the PC route, youre going to need a monitor laptop or pc

is it just iplayer etc or would you rather a tuner card like mine? [it also plays and records simultaneously via dual tuners

pauleboy 17:52 07 Nov 10

Thanks Al

I'm thinking of doing without a TV (or TV card in the PC) altogether so that I can ditch the aerial as well as all the TV boxes, furniture etc in the living room.
What I am thinking of is a laptop (or perhaps all in one PC) that could also double as a standard computer for my wife. Then, if my daughter and boyfriend also want to watch something as well, linking this a separate wall mounted LCD monitor (say 24 inch with built in speakers). Hopefully the viewing experience will be good and I can also play music, watch films on DVD, etc etc using just this equipment.
Do you think I am being too optimistic in my expectations?

john bunyan 19:20 07 Nov 10

If you only intend to use iPlayer and others to view TV , you may run into limits on your downloads, unless you have a truly unlimited download package.. A PC TV tuner is quite cheap so I agree with AL47

arbico 12:45 09 Nov 10

TV Tuners are quite cheap as John said.
However, you do need to pay for a TV License if you are receiving a TV signal.
I'm not sure if you would have to pay for the TV License if you only use iPlayer.

The downside is that iPlayer isn't the greatest quality in the world.

It does sound like an interesting set up though, which theoretically should work fine with or without a TV Tuner.

The only limiting factor would be the internet connection.

pauleboy 15:01 11 Nov 10

Thanks to all for the advice.

I have unlimited downloads with BTInternet so that's o.k.
I usually download to my hard drive from IPlayer before watching so don't find the quality that bad - in fact a few weeks ago I watched a film without doing the download and I must admit didn't really notice any difference from watching live (I think my expectations are not as high as some).
I don't think there is any issue with the BBC licence when viewing programmes that have already been aired but I think a licence would be required for watching a live broadcast such as the 6 p.m. news.
Looking at the current PC Advisor mag it looks like an all-in-one PC may be the route to take - I'll probably find that they all come with a TV tuner anyway!!

Thanks once again

tonymcdonn 15:35 11 Nov 10

Try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…