PC Download Speeds - Wireless Network Adaptors

glosmgc 12:04 PM 18 Sep 12

Can anyone give me some advice please? Just moved homes. Running an old Dell Dimension 3000, on XP alongside a Samsumg R720 laptop on 7. Taken my BT package with me, but although the laptop is showing signal strength excellent (72-117 mbps), the Dell is sluggish on "very low" (11.00 mbps). It currently has a Belkin 802.11g (54 mbps) WNA which is probably out of date and causing the problem. Can someone recommend a better one and a supplier?

woodchip 18:24 PM 18 Sep 12

First you need to know what speed to expect where you have moved to. if its a BT landline

D@ve 23:24 PM 18 Sep 12

11Mbps is the maximum speed of 802.11b. Perhaps the wireless adapter of your Dell Dimension is old and only capable of 802.11b?

If your laptop gets a good signal when you use it in the same location as your desktop then I'd suggest upgrading the wireless adapter (and if necessary, the antenna) on the desktop, rather than the router. If you still have problems then look at getting a 802.11n router and 802.11n wireless adapters.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites