pc camera with mic- what's the best bargain

canard 21:28 01 Jul 03

I want to buy my daughter, whose daughter is off to Uni, a pc camera with microphone [one each] so that they can talk and see. Knowing nothing about these things could you please advise me. Price matters.

marjted 22:11 01 Jul 03

There's a good selection here. click here

I've read some good reviews for the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 but no experience of it.

Danoh 23:31 01 Jul 03

There are also reviews on this very site; click here

Danoh 23:44 01 Jul 03

You can also find existing discussions on Web cams using the search facility

Within the Consumer Forum;

Entering ?webcams? in the search facility shows this other thread;
click here

And ?web cams? shows this other thread;
click here

Within the Helproom Forum, there are pages of past threads but they are mostly about requests for help with webcam problems.

Happy reading!!

canard 00:36 02 Jul 03

Thankyou marjted, this looks promising.

crx1600 01:10 02 Jul 03

ive found built-in microphones to be frustrating in use.

id advise a cheaper webcam (without microphone) and a seperate microphone headset.

either way you will probably need to wear headphones, as the built-in mic picks up the speakers just as well as your voice, resulting in echo's, feedback and the person speaking gets put off by hearing their own voice coming back slightly delayed.

Danoh 12:38 02 Jul 03

Separate mic is definitely better quality. But feedback from speakers will generate unbearable screeching noises.

Echo-cancellation is a separate thing; long distance and especially IP audio is not well served by current hardware echo-cancellation.

Yahoo messenger is the only service I know of which has deployed echo-cancellation well.

canard 12:46 02 Jul 03

Thanks crx1600 and Danoh for the good techno advice. Is there anything else I should kow?

somar 09:30 06 Jul 03

Personaly I have been using Philips web cams with integrated Mic and they have performed brilantly without any problem (PCVC750K)

malik4456 09:53 06 Jul 03

Most of the cameras out there are of equal quality. Only advice I have is that you do not go with Creative web cams because some friend of mine did have major compatibility issue.

canard 17:52 06 Jul 03

Thanks, Somar which webmail do you use your webcam with?
And thanks for the warning malik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…