Pc buying advice

rickf 12:16 16 Jan 04

Given the number of people who had been "diddled" because they do not know what to look for etc., would it not be informative if we were to create a comprehensive site giving potential buyers the info required, questions to ask etc. before committing themselves? I think this would be a very useful info giving site.

Dragon Heart 12:53 16 Jan 04

The hardest task for any 'novice' computer buyer is knowing what they need it for now and in the future.

Do they need it to work @ home ?
Will the children wish to play games on it ?
How many £'s have you got spare ?
Do you need the latest spec all singing all dancing PC ?
It may come with Windows XP Home but do you need all the other Microsoft software or will Open Office for example do ?
Where is it going to be living, bedroom, children's room, study ?
Breakdown cover, one year on site plus two years return to base or three years on site etc. ?
The list goes on and on

Great idea but you can see it would be difficult to cover everyone's needs, even if they knew what they were.

My advice for what's it's worth would be to pick a target price and a list of requirements and stick to it, make the sales staff work for their cut, it's your hard earned money after all.

The fact that as you said most people dont know what to look for i take it you mean never have a PC, thus in most cases, no net access!

Perhap's if there was a leaflet that all the manufacturer's used, placed in all the store's and computer shop's, i think that may work. But as i say to anyone that doesnt know much about computer's, take someone along who knows what they are doing.

rickf 14:03 16 Jan 04

I am thinking that people who have posted re various difficulties related to pc buying are people who have some elementary knowledge about pcs and how to use word for example but they do not necessarily know what is required in specs terms to look for. A wider question is terms and conditions of purchase such as what should come with a pc. You have an example today of someone who bought a pc w/o knowing that it does not come with an os system disc or even a recovery disc. If not, is the facility embeded in the h/d?
Basic questions and knowledge before buying the pc you want it for. These can be split into categories on the site.

wee eddie 16:23 16 Jan 04

If I remember rightly.

The last time I was buying, I purchased a magazine called Computer Buyer. At the end they had a sort of Buyers Crib Sheet on which you noted all the functions you felt you might need. This was in the form of a String Diagram, and led you toward a suitable specification.

rickf 18:32 16 Jan 04

Sure, but a website can be updated to keep pace with enquiries that are not covered by a hard copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now