PC Advisor subscribe or not??

nathan doin 12:04 24 Oct 05

My current subscription to PC-A is about to run out. I have subscribed for a number of years. I also enjoy using this web site. Over the last few days, however, whenever I access the site, an irritating advertisement for the Financial Times geets me, animates all over the user ID and password boxes, forcing me to lose part of my life waiting to sign in. Should I renew my subscription to PC Advisor or - as requested-subscribe to the Financial Times instead?
:)

nathan doin 12:16 24 Oct 05

Other times it greets me???

BH34 12:16 24 Oct 05

Have a look here click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:18 24 Oct 05

All you need to do is click the 'X' and it will go away. The adverts provide income for an extremely expensive site. Helpline cost between 50p and £1 a minute..here is free and dare I say it, better advice. It costs you nothing so why not click on a few of the adverts or if you use avant browser click here(IMHO much better than IE) you will not see them ;-))

G

nathan doin 13:38 24 Oct 05

I didn't realise the site gets paid by the click.
Ads are OK - in the mag they are not printed over other text - I will click some in future.
Thanks for the advice, and the links.

grumpygramp 20:20 24 Oct 05

There is no need to put up with any adverts . You just need to adjust your set up . Though they are not that bad, and a small price to pay for some excellent advice. I have tried several other Magazines , but PC-Advisor seems to have the best mix of useful information

ade.h 21:16 24 Oct 05

Well I must be missing something; I've never seen this mythical pop-up.

Then again, I browse with Firefox and Opera, both of which do a very good job of automatically blocking little annoyances like that!

I suggest you do the same. IE's pop-up blocker is not as effective apparently.

Sapins 22:39 24 Oct 05

A great deal seems to be made about the cost of running these forums and the part advertisements play in that.

I am a member of another forum that does not bang on about the costs etc; and it is also free.

So, where *does* the truth lie?

lixdexik 22:40 24 Oct 05

PCA needs you. We need you. .it's a small price to pay for the best help site around.

Cheers Lixdexik.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:05 24 Oct 05

So I assume that you are willing to take over the running of the forum and all associated costs? I also assume that you will be able to blag a large enough server as well.

You are barking if you think this forum is 'cheap' to run.

G

Forum Editor 23:49 24 Oct 05

The only reason that a great deal is made about the cost of running the site is because a great deal is constantly made about the advertising. If nobody mentioned that I wouldn't have to remind anyone about the cost would I?

The truth lies in what I say - I'm not a liar, as you seem to imply. This site costs a great deal to maintain and operate. I hope that's clear enough?

Turning to you, nathan doin, I know that some of the ads can be irritating, but we really do need them, and usually we manage to keep them in check. The problem is that if we insisted on ads being so discreet as not to annoy a single forum user we probably wouldn't attract any advertisers. After all, the whole purpose of an ad is to sell, and it can't do that if nobody sees it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…