PC Advisor search facilities

PC Advisor. 12:06 10 Jan 03
  PC Advisor. 12:06 10 Jan 03

Hi folks,

We've had to alter the search functionality of the site owing to performance issues. The data we've amassed over the last couple of years is immense and the additional hardware investment we'd need to fork out to keep performance levels at the standards our users require simply isn't there at the moment.

It costs an arm and a leg to keep these forums running, so in a bid to balance costs and performance we've been forced to remove the Boolean search facility. We hope this will be a temporary measure.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best

Guy (Online Ed).

Tankus 12:28 10 Jan 03

Seems to be a big economy drive going on at PCA ? eh... Guy...?
Maybe Dixon's are not the only ones who had an "interesting" Christmas.

graham 13:33 10 Jan 03

You could always use pop-ups! -;)

Djohn 13:41 10 Jan 03

Think it may be time for some help from us to you.

This is a great forum, We all want it to remain so.

Maybe a small annual membership fee is in order.

This would solve many problems, especially the ones concerning postings of an obnoxious nature.

Why not put this to a poll, I think it would be the most useful poll of the recent ones we have had. J.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:45 10 Jan 03

'Think it may be time for some help from us to you.'....may one enquire as to where one may download a good pop-up stopper and any programme that stops adverts from loading? ;-))

G

Djohn 13:52 10 Jan 03

GANDALF <|:-)> you may, but I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that one. :o)

Andÿ 14:09 10 Jan 03

Some might say:

I want everything for free with NO ads popup or otherwise!

I want to say what I like regardless of the implications (free speech no censorship).

PCA should pay for everything if they want the pleasure of me shooting my mouth off to all and sundry litigious or not!

:o))))))) LOL

I wonder why times are hard and the tone of the place seems to be a changing...........

Why don't we all try to make it easier for them instead of worse.

bvw in bristol 14:13 10 Jan 03

Yes, I agree with your 13.41 posting.

Also I'll quote, if I may, a posting from last year regarding pop ups:

"The only alternative would be to charge for access
Can all the acolytes of the pop-up killer faith please take note and sit down and have a bit of a mull over this using logic rather than knee-jerk reactions to a tiny problem.....if you do not then I would suggest getting your credit/debit cards out.
G"

Tankus 14:34 10 Jan 03

Add a £1 or €2 per ann to the subs on the Mag?

I realise the price point is important to the more casual reader ,in order to maintain sales, but I would not mind adding a quid or so to my subscription to keep this site open as it was last year.......

How about trying a poll for once and asking our opinion.........

A small amount from all would pay towards the running costs ?

leo49 14:44 10 Jan 03

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion to put our money where our mouths are - especially with the memory fresh in our minds of the sense of loss many experienced with the server problems post Christmas.

An annual membership fee with reduced/free membership for Mag subscribers.

One things for sure, you can't ask China to take a pay cut!

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…