PC Advisor publisher's broadband nightmare

PC Advisor. 16:57 06 Jun 03

Just to show things don't just go wrong for our readers, check out our publisher's recent tanglings with Telewest.

click here

VoG™ 17:16 06 Jun 03

Yeah, but it's well worth waiting for.........

Publisher, PC Advisor 17:32 06 Jun 03

...if I had some form of telephone and email connection in the meantime. But I have nothing despite booking it all in and paying up front. Telewest have left me well and truly high and dry.....

Djohn 17:46 06 Jun 03

it a great story, well laid out, detailed and very funny, (as long as it's not happening to you.)

Can't wait until monday, want to know just what is at the end of the piece of blue string... :o)

Valvegrid 17:57 06 Jun 03

Give the bit of blue string a tug, the lost engineer might pop out the tube! :-)

grainish 18:17 06 Jun 03

The words party and brewery come to mind, when it comes to organising communication between departments of Telewest.

A while ago tried to log on to the web and noticed lights on modem had gone out, phoned Telewest cust service. No problem there end must be my end, tried a few things still no lights, can an engineer call tonight, Yes please, says me amazed at the speed of service.

Engineer arrives at agreed time, wants to check the settings on my P.C. what good will that do I enquired as it must be the modem or the incoming cable as the lights were not working. OK he says and gets a meter out of his van lifts the manhole cover and tests the cable, nothing.

I said to the engineer that the TV must be down as well, No that’s working he says, with no signal in the fibre cable how can the TV be working?

Goes to a neighbour he tells us the TV had been down for 4 hours due to cable fault, he had phoned the TV cust service.

Engineer tried for 45 mins to get through to his office on a special number for quicker service? Was told no fault with TV or BB. But he would just check 15 mins the guy on the special number comes back yes there is a cable fault affecting the whole of the ME post code plus other areas but will be back on within mins. As he said this the lights came back on.

Can someone tell me how can the TV & BB over much of Kent be down for over 4 hours and the TV cust service know about it but not the BB cust service and the engineer not know.

It was not the fact I had lost my connection that annoyed me, but there lack of communication between departments is beyond believe.

But I do agree with VoG™ it is worth the wait.

Forum Editor 18:41 06 Jun 03

of the trials and tribulations faced by one man trying to get a simple broadband connection I am reminded of the old song made famous by Flanders and Swann, that legendary duo of the late 1950's/early 1960's.

'The gasman cometh'

'Twas on the Monday morning, the Gas man came to call.
The gas tap wouldn't turn - I wasn't getting gas at all.
He tore out all the skirting boards to try and find the main,
And I had to call the carpenter to put them back again.
Oh, it all makes work for the working men to do.

You would have thought we'd have moved on a bit by now wouldn't you? Apparently not, we're still suffering from the attitude that takes prevarication and makes it an art form. "If it doesn't get done today perhaps it'll get done tomorrow".

AL D. 20:09 06 Jun 03

Reminds me of all those Satisfied PCW story's (lol)

spuds 20:12 06 Jun 03

But it is all a customer services training exercise. Isn't it !!.

Steven135 22:17 06 Jun 03

I really feel for those who work in customer service departments I wonder how they get up for work every day. The ones I have spoken to at Telewest are unfailingly polite and apologetic they would make (are) wonderful diplomats.

cdb 22:57 06 Jun 03

I thought this was the British way of doing things. Why, only this Monday I took a day off work (I finish at 2pm) to wait in for a washing machine engineer (from a well known celestrial high street store ;) ) to call anytime from 8am to 1pm. He turned up at 2.15pm. What a great day off that was!@!*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…