PC Advisor Polls

Young Ranger 20:28 12 Feb 04

How many people find that these polls often don't offer a suitable option. For example, the latest one:

"The newly relaunched Home Computing Initiative offers tax breaks for employers who offer their staff the chance to buy PCs on company loans."

My employer is a nice chap but a bit of a Luddite when it comes to PCs. When it comes to money he is even worse and I wouldn't even consider asking him for a lone, tax free or otherwise.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:35 12 Feb 04

Then the poll is not aimed at people like you...eyes raise.

G

A Cat Called George 21:01 12 Feb 04

How many PCA polls have been aimed at grey haired old wizards?

A Cat Called George 21:02 12 Feb 04

Or cats?

Forum Editor 22:31 12 Feb 04

Young Ranger?

What sort of 'suitable option' would be appropriate in your case?

hugh-265156 02:24 13 Feb 04

as above it does not apply to most people i think.

click here not all employers offer this.

Young Ranger 13:46 13 Feb 04

In this particular case my point is that if I wanted to upgrade, a loan from my employer is not an option.

A suitable option would be "I would like to sign up but my employer is not interested."

If I showed him the contents of the page that Huggy71 points to, there would be a long groan and an even longer speech about the government having better things to spend HIS money on etc. (NB: This comment does not indicate that I agree with him).

I am sure that he is not alone in his views and there must be many more small businessmen who cannot see the advantage of PC technology or are so busy, they "don't have time to learn how to use them".

You might say that this attitude will change in the future. I am not so sure because I find that whilst many young people are happy to use PCs for games or the internet they are not so interested when it becomes work related.

Maybe I'm missing the point. Is this innitiative aimed at bigger employers who rely on technology?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:13 13 Feb 04

'In this particular case my point is that if I wanted to upgrade, a loan from my employer is not an option'....then the survey is not aimed at you.

G

Forum Editor 18:21 13 Feb 04

in this scheme (called HCI - for Home Computer Initiative) there's not much you can do about it. The scheme doesn't mean that employers need to be interested in technology, it allows them to lend computers to staff for their own use. The employer gets a tax break.

The employer doesn't necessarily have to be interested in computer technology, although nowadays one that doesn't is being rather silly. The government isn't spending your employer's money with this scheme, it's actually allowing him to save some.

Most HCI schemes are cost neutral as many employers choose to use salary sacrifice arrangements to offset the costs of administration and implementation. Where salary sacrifice is used, the employee accepts a reduction in their gross annual salary in return for the use of a loaned computer. Depending on the nature and scale of an HCI implementation, an employer may be in a position to generate operational savings through a reduction in National Insurance contributions on the amount of their employees' salaries sacrificed.

Young Ranger 00:16 14 Feb 04

OK Gandalf, put your eyes down now or they will stick like that and you'll never get a part in another film.

FE, I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree. I'm just saying that the poll doen't cover all of the options. A small point I know and it is after all PCA's poll.

Time for bed said Zebadee.

josie mayhem 00:58 15 Feb 04

I think I might be laughed out the office, if I asked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…