PC Advisor poll: Your website needs you

PC Advisor. 10:09 09 Jul 03

Hi folks,

We'd appreciate some feedback on our current poll.

In the US it looks as though notebook sales are finally challenging desktops for market supremacy, which prompted our poll.

If any of you out there are considering a second PC for the home, we'd be interested in knowing whether you'd opt for a notebook or a desktop. We'd also like to know your reasons for doing so.

Do you think the price/performance difference between the two means the PC has had its day?

AS EVER, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE QUOTED BY YOUR REAL NAME PLEASE SAY SO.

Many thanks.

Sir Radfordin 10:21 09 Jul 03

The time has come where the PC plays more of a role in life than just being something that sits in a room and is used from time to time to do work.

Increasingly I've found it would be useful to be able to pick up a laptop and move to a different room. Wireless networking, better battery life and smaller notebooks make this something to consider.

There is also the need to be able to work in several locations, be it in different homes, places of work or just travelling between places. Using a laptop saves time in not having to duplicate installs of applications and then just carry the data around with you.

As prices fall and as people let the PC become more a day-to-day tool rather than something for doing work with then it has changed peoples perception and needs. Better laptops in terms of small size/faster processor etc have meant they are viable alternitives.

Tj_El 10:48 09 Jul 03

Sir Radfordin, you have exactly mirrored my thoughts. When the time for an 'upgrade' comes, I'll be going for a laptop/notebook rather than the desktop - that I will leave for the children pleasure... :-o))

Having a laptop makes more sense for moi (and for 'er indoors') as it allows greater flexibilty when working on or with an application that do not absolutely require one to be stuck (or is that 'tied') to a desk, e.g. artwork which requires both a steady surface and hands.

Belatucadrus 11:27 09 Jul 03

While it's true that the increasing capabilities of laptops make them a viable alternative to desktop machines. The modular upgradable nature, the still significant price advantage along with the vastly superior ergonomics of a desktop unit mean that in my opinion the laptop is still a supplement to and not a replacement for the traditional PC. Obviously the fact that the desktop is a relatively bulky contraption has it problems at home, but low footprint devices like the Hi-grade Xperian click here would seem better for home use.

-pops- 11:32 09 Jul 03

Laptops and the like leave little opportunity for fiddlers and tinkerers - which, I believe, a large number of PCA forum members are.

I have three desktops at the moment (not all in use at the same time). I wouldn't give a laptop a second glance. One reason is that with my stubby, inarticulate, arthritic fingers on those tiny keyboards and touchpads and so on, I would be tapping far more rubbish into the machine than I normally do.

As for those miniscule pocket PDA thingies - no chance!!!

Brian

Inky 12:29 09 Jul 03

I'll opt for a laptop so that I can reclaim a bedroom and get rid of a ton of spaghetti that hangs out the back.
Then I'll get a console for games rather than messing up the PC when they are installed!

spikeychris 13:17 09 Jul 03

Double edge sword I think. If your married or have a family then sitting in-front of a desktop in a room on your own can cause some friction (well in my house it does).

As has been said computers are used more and more now so portability is a major issue for me. It's been a long time since I sat at one of my desktops and there are times when I sit in the garden untethered on the internet.

However my family now call it my 'life support machine' and they get really annoyed seeing me tapping away on a keyboard. This I think proves that users will spend a lot more time on a computer if they have a laptop.

Sounds good to me ;o)

Chris

MichelleC 13:38 09 Jul 03

If I went for another pc it'd be a notebook. A: I had a long-haul flight recently and the films were rubbish. B: for easier access, they're lighter (just a bit), and you can take them on picnics.

spikeychris 13:45 09 Jul 03

If I were to take a laptop on a picnic I'd be house hunting the day after.....

Steven135 13:52 09 Jul 03

I have a laptop along with my desktop machine.

I use the laptop primarily for presentations and out of office work I have found that linking it wirelessly has been very useful.

The laptop has also been my failsafe machine, when your computer turns its toes up how else can you access this forum unless you have two desktops?

I couldn't work for any great length of time on the laptop for serious graphics work etc

I appreciate the extra speed and comfort of my main machine besides the screen size of my TFT and being able to listen to quality sound as I work or play.

Forum Editor 18:52 09 Jul 03

that I think laptops are now so good, and so fully featured that there's not much point in buying a new desktop, provided you can afford the (often considerable) price difference.

My laptop goes everywhere I go, and no matter where in the world I'm working I feel 'at home' once I fire up the trusty laptop. I can access the web via my mobile phone, a wireless network, conventional network, hotel phone, or via an IR port, so I'm equipped for all eventualities. If necessary I can plug into a CRT monitor and work on big graphics files or website design, just as if I was back in the office.

I've worked here in the forum from places as different as a beach hotel in Bali, the centre of Beijing, and a hotel on the edge of Red Square - take away my desktop if you must, but don't lay a finger on my laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…