PC Advisor magazine exVAT prices

Totally-braindead 14:16 05 Jul 03

I am a bit annoyed at the prices quoted in the PC Advisor magazine in the reviews and also in the Top 10 charts. Now how many people out there on the Forum and indeed who buy the magazine don't pay Vat on their purchases? Why can't the prices either be displayed with Vat or why not quote both prices. There has been a couple of times that I've seen a price and thought "thats not bad I'll go have a look at that" only to find that the price when you add on the Vat isn't such a good deal. It really hacks me off. Is it priced exVat because PC Advisor is sold in other countries with other tax rates? If this is the case then why not do as I suggest quote both prices, it would be really helpful.

TBH1 14:26 05 Jul 03

agree with you mate - - though I think we have been here before and someone, somewhere came up for a reason for it - - - -can't for the life of me think what it was and if memory serves me correct, didn't agree with it then.

Jester2K II 15:00 05 Jul 03

I think the ink costs involved in printing the VAT and non-VAT prices are prohibitive!!! Or was that another thread??

Will try to find that thread on why....

Jester2K II 15:01 05 Jul 03

click here where it was discussed before.

No official line though...

-pops- 16:17 05 Jul 03

I think it's a convention and a throwback to the days when computer magazines and periodicals were more oriented towards business customers and only had home users as something of a sideline.

Obviously, businesses can work easily with VAT free prices as, even though there is an initial layout of money, this is reclaimable from HMCE. Not so with home users but the tradition has stuck.

There are some magazines that give both prices and you may find that more and more suppliers are quoting both, especially if you look on the web.

Brian

Totally-braindead 17:02 05 Jul 03

Thanks Jester2k II I read the thread and found it very interesting, and Pops you're dead right, there are some mags who do print the prices with and without the Vat but I like PC Advisor. I just wish they could take this on board and print both prices. Thanks to all.

Stuartli 17:44 05 Jul 03

Although it has been standard practice for many years (for the business orientated reasons already given), I seem to remember that some official body ruled a while back that both Plus VAT and VAT Inclusive prices had to be clearly displayed in advertisements.

Hunte® 18:07 05 Jul 03

If the company advertising supplies mainly to trade customers then they can advertise ex vat prices, otherwise the headline price should always be the VAT inclusive price. The ASA have been known to rule against companies advertising prices incorrectly like this before.

H-J 20:21 05 Jul 03

It looks like PCA are just being bloody minded. Jester2K II was right when he said no official line on this. I suspect PCA have just become hide bound because this is the way we do it and this is the way we are going to do it. why NOT have a poll on this and go with the majority decision. after all this is a CONSUMER mag, not a trade. if PCA say otherwise then I think I am in the wrong place.

Hugh

Andybear 21:29 05 Jul 03

I agree with everything that's being said here. Having a poll on the subject is a great idea and would be far more relevant than some of them I've seen lately.

Any comments off the FE?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…