PC Advisor Best Buy Award Computer not avail.!!!

madlarry 22:03 18 Oct 10

I ordered a desktop from Palicomp on the strength of a PC Advisor 'Best Buy' award, the I3 Blast 540-22. Upon inspection there are various parts that are not as per the product information and therefore the computer is not the same as the one tested by PC Advisor. Some of the points they have offered to sort out for me or refund the difference. The question I have regards the manufacturers of the hard drive and memory cards, which they will not change. Although they are the same spec, a Western Digital hard drive has been substituted with a Hitachi one and the Crucial memory cards have been substituted with Simmtronics ones. I personally would like what I ordered. But, will the parts supplied by these alternative manufacturers be as good as those advertised in the product information? I believe the replacements are cheaper alternatives as the whole computer looks as though they have tried to save £10 or £20 here and there on numerous parts.

wee eddie 22:44 18 Oct 10

You are free, not to purchase the PC that Palicomp have offered you.

For whatever reason, they don't need to tell you why, but it maybe that the parts are no longer available to them or have increased in price, they are unable to offer the PC that you read about.

I would suggest that you are about to cut off your nose to spite your face.

The chances are that both Hard Drives are made in the same factory, in China, anyway.

madlarry 00:12 19 Oct 10

If as you suggest the advertised parts are no longer available then maybe they should stop advertising them in their specs. I have found nine other computer specs on their website that state that they come fitted with either one or both of these 'unavailable' products. I have also managed to source these 'so-called' unavailable products on the internet.

morddwyd 07:28 19 Oct 10

Under no circumstances would I accept a computer that didn't contain the parts I specified by the manufacturer I specified.

If you specified Crucial memory and other memory was substituted Crucial would be very interested in why this manufacturer is substituting their product with a, presumably, cheaper one.

So would Western Digital.

Not everybody is computer savvy enough to realise parts had been substituted.

wee eddie 08:21 19 Oct 10

I assume that when Palicomp confirmed receipt of your Order, they sent you a copy of the Specification, for you to accept or dismiss.

If what you got does not match that Specification, then you have a legitimate grouse.

However, it not matching the Specification of the Advert which, by the time you got it would have been made at least a month previously, is part and parcel of Computer Manufacturer's fast moving, product availability, scenario.

birdface 10:02 19 Oct 10

click here
And some poor reviews on e-bay.
PCA only review the computer and not the company.
Maybe check Google yourself and see what you can find.

KremmenUK 10:34 19 Oct 10

Now call me suspicious but.......

I wonder if the system sent to PCA for evaluation contained the best parts possible to up the WorldBench score and therefore get a better review?

madlarry 10:41 19 Oct 10

Thanks for responses guys. I didn't want to go into a vast amount of detail in the original post for fear of boring you folks.
At no point after I placed the order did Palicomp tell me that important components were not available. I received no invoice until a week after delivery. I have done some research on the internet and the substituted parts are available and Palicomp continue to advertise these parts on their product specs for not only my computer but also another 9 product specs that I found. I have since found the poor reviews posted on ebay and when typing 'Trading Standards Palicomp' into Google I found that another customer who placed his order on the same day as me has had some of the same problems that I have encountered.

madlarry 10:44 19 Oct 10

KremmenUK whatever makes you think that a company would do that? (So I'm not the only person who thinks that - and it is a polite way of putting it!)

HondaMan 10:54 19 Oct 10

If memory serves, a manufacturer is obliged to sell the computer as tested for a period of time, or risk losing the award. If you ordered the PC "as tested" then that is what you should have, anything other, without your prior agreement is placing them in breach of contract.

If I am wrong about the status of the award, I am sure FE will correct me.

FE?

spuds 12:54 19 Oct 10

Hopefully someone from PCA will respond, because HondaMan appears to be correct in how items are tested, awarded and supplied to future customers.

If this was a private sale (which it is) then changing of components is by mutual agreement if the original specifications cannot be upheld, for whatever reason. The manufacturer cannot just make substitutions without your consent and approval from the original contract.

You can negotiate on the deal or cancel the deal, the choice is for you to decide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017