PayPal scam

Morgan 09:41 11 Jun 03

I am sure this is a similar scam as before, but this time they are asking PayPal customers for their ATM pin number as follows:

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and and Credit Card info number by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name #:
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy) #:
ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:

Although I have no intentions of filling this in, it was sent to an email address that I once used, but no longer use for PayPal.

I presume this can't really be from PayPal?

Mysticnas 10:12 11 Jun 03

Sadly there will be some Muppets that will fall for this silly trick.

I don't know why anyone would want to know your card details especially your PIN!!!

This is probably one of the most obviously and blunt attempts to try and get credit card details!!!

If you still have the email then forward it to PayPal so they may try and track it.

Morgan 10:21 11 Jun 03

I can't believe anyone would so stupid as to give someone their pin number!

I will forward the email to PayPal.

Thanks for your response.

-pops- 11:23 11 Jun 03

"I can't believe anyone would so stupid as to give someone their pin number!"

Unfortunately they do and in large numbers - enough to give the scammers quite a reasonable standard of living!

Despite all the warnings people let dodgy types into their houses as well, with widely reported dire results.

Mysticnas 11:56 11 Jun 03

"I don't know why anyone would want to know your card details especially your PIN!!!"

obviously i know why people would want this, but what i meant to say was that why would any real company need these details?

tufnut 12:17 13 Jun 03

With any decent company any good credit card is enough. I suspected foul play a long time ago with Pay Pal and I still do,after being targeted from different directions. I would never give out the data you mentioned. Take care,
Tufnut.

Martlet 18:23 05 Jul 03

I have just received an email similar to that posted in this discussion. The details required, especially the PIN No. immeditely raised my suspicions. I contacted PayPal who have replied stating that they are investingating the fraudulent site, which has nothing to do with them. Paypal also advises that should any details have been given, then your card issuer should be informed and your Paypal details should be changed.
Whether there will be any sort of prosecution from the details I,(and I am sure other people), have sent, I doubt very much. It pays to be always on your guard, and inform your friends and family to be likewise aware.

Stuartli 17:53 06 Jul 03

This subject has been aired in recent weeks in the forums but, in any case, I wouldn't worry too much about PayPal's fortunes - or even consider using the service - in view of the following:

click here

Coaster3 12:59 07 Jul 03

Important Note: eBay will not ask you to send your credit card information through email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…