Paypal Problem

Phate 12:57 15 Feb 09

Hi all -

I purchased an xbox about five weeks ago from ebay for about £300, which I paid for via paypal. The seller had excellent feedback up to this point and had been a member of ebay since 2005.

A couple of days after the auction had ended I found that the seller was no longer a registered member and that all the listings they had placed had been removed by ebay. Numerous attempts to contact the seller through e-mail and by phone yielded nothing.

I thus followed standard paypal protocol and opened a dispute through the resolution centre, which has now been concluded in my favour.

However I then received an e-mail from paypal telling me that they were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account, and so could not process my refund.

Does this mean I won't be getting my money back? Surely buyer protection should cover me even though the seller has withdrawn the funds? The funds I used to pay for the item were sent to me from a friend's paypal account, and so I can't even talk to my credit card company or bank to dispute the transaction from there.

Please help me as I really don't know how to proceed here. I contacted paypal support but they won't give me the refund until the seller deposits money into his account, which I doubt very much they are going to do.

curofone 13:12 15 Feb 09

click here and read section 13 should find your answer in there, section 13.1 seems like the most relevent bit to you

Phate 13:34 15 Feb 09

I've just noticed the following paragraph -

13.13 What if PayPal makes a final decision in my favour?

If PayPal makes a final decision in your favour, we will collect any available funds in the seller’s PayPal balance at that time. However, recovery is not guaranteed and is limited only to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account. Any amounts collected from the seller will be placed in your Account.

That's absolutely apalling. Most scammers doing this are just going to withdraw the money and run, so what use is the buyer protection?

curofone 13:36 15 Feb 09

keep reading i believe it says a bit further down that you can escalate it to another level where you can get a refund up to £500 if you meet certain criteria but dont quote me on that as i have only had to use the dispute service once and i got my money back at the first stage.

gazzaho 14:16 15 Feb 09

I've never used ebay because, to be honest I've never really trusted it and especially with large amounts of money, a lot depends on the honesty of other users. I've found it hard at times to deal with some "established" retailers regarding refunds and such but at least with them there are some built in safeguards, I've never thought ebay had enough safeguards to warrant the risk.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your friend to contact their credit card companies disputes number and ask their advice, after all they issued you with the funds to buy the xbox. As far as I'm aware credit card transactions are insured, perhaps I'm wrong but I would imagine the credit card company that issued the payment would be responsible for a refund.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…