Paying to get a website developed

VNAM75 20:38 14 Jul 10

I want to get a business services website produced by a web developer/designer. I Don't need anything advanced like payment facilities but just graphics, pcitures, text etc. There are a few issues I'm unsure about:

1) I want to be able to do basic editing myself such as adding text, changing fonts/colours etc once the website has been produced. Will I need a copy of the software the developer has used?

2) How do I go about finding a good company/person to create my site? Do I need to make sure they use a specific technology for example?

3) How much should I pay for say a standard 6 page website, eg. Home page, Services offered, Prices, Contact details. I've seen prices advertised bewteen £75 - £300.
4) Should I ask for some design examples to choose from as I don't have a specific idea on how it should look. Could I ask for it to be based on an established website? Not an exact copy of course, but the general colur scheme for example?

wiz-king 21:53 14 Jul 10

1, yes or something similar
2, look around for something you like and the developers name is usually at the bottom of the page
3,Steer clear of the £75 ones, they will be using standard templates with little adaptation.
4, Yes, find a website you like for your type of business and use that as an example.

Uncluttered white background is the latest trend, and it is also very readable, think who you want your website to appeal to and unless you are trying to catch the eye of the 14 - 20 year olds stay away from fancy graphics and black backgrounds.
Remember KISS!

VNAM75 22:58 14 Jul 10

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5