Paying email addresses

lavabubble 01:36 10 Jan 06

Hi

I am a member of a forum that is now requiring members to have a 'paid-for' email address. As I do not have one of these and my ISP doesn't provide for one, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of a cheap provider so that I can change my email address and comply with the board rules??

Thanks

Lava

genuinefake 08:31 10 Jan 06

can you just not use the one with your internet provider?

spuds 10:06 10 Jan 06

A bit confused by the question. Every email address is 'paid for' in some form or manner, and this includes the one provided by your ISP. Or are you stating that you must have another email 'paid for' address, possibly provided by the forum!.

sattman 10:15 10 Jan 06

Do you mean a non web based address ie not hotmail or Yahoo address

DieSse 11:25 10 Jan 06

I think they'll accept an ISP one (you do pay for this in your monthly charge from the ISP) - they just don't want a hotmail or yahoo type address, as sattman suggests.

You could always ask them what they mean - and after all you could have a paid-for hotmail address - they couldn't know either way.

wee eddie 12:19 10 Jan 06

lavabubble:

With Hotmail, Yahoo, G-Mail etc. You can create whoever you want so long as that name ins not being used by another within their system.

There is no way for the Forum Operators to Identify you. With a "paid for" address there is an audit Trail which leads straight to you.

A possible reason is to reduce the likelihood of, say Paedophiles, to join the Forum as they can be identified through their address..

reklan 15:03 10 Jan 06

Anoher option would be to buy your own domain name with email.

for example you could pay approx £10 a year to click here for a .co.uk domain name and 1gig mailbox..

or you could pay approx £20 to £25 for a domain and hosting package from other supplier (this usually comes with a large amount of webspace and the ability to have multple email addresses.)

lavabubble 17:46 10 Jan 06

They are stating (and I quote) "Members who have a freebie email address such as Hotmail, Freeserve, Yahoo, BT etc., should not edit their profile since this will disable their login."

1. I am on BT broadband (the old style one without yahoo) which doesn't offer any email; and
2. The are prohibiting BT ones anyway so it's useless anyway!

Think I am gonna have to go for the £10 domain thing etc to sort this out!!!

grumpygramp 18:55 10 Jan 06

I have a £6 per year Email account from www. mail.com

MidgetMan 19:31 10 Jan 06

£6.09 for 2 yrs for your own domain name with forwarding service @ 123 reg.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…