Password security updates - is this genuine MS?

TOPCAT® 17:15 10 Apr 04

Had an e-mail today from out of the blue purporting to come from:- Microsoft Security [email protected]> - with an inducement to purchase "PasswordSecure" - a Secure Password Manager from click here. Note the 't' is changed to 'l' in microsoft.

The Pipex mail server details lists the following: "Received: from ( [])"

Sounds to me like they are using MS's name to try to boost sales. Agreed or not and has anyone used this product? TC.

cycoze 17:22 10 Apr 04

No - its spam , delete it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:35 10 Apr 04

'Stealing your passwords and personal information is very simple. All it takes is just 3 simple steps of:'...Muahahahaha! Are these jokers for real? Delete it, they are talking the biggest load of cobblers that I have ever heard. I use click here, it is free and excellent...saves a lot of messing about.

'We could then plant a malicious virus into your browser'...C'mon then......

'Retrieving your IP (Internet Protocol) and ISP (Internet Service Provider) information'...any fool can do this and it will tell them naff all.

'Would you wish to risk your identity stolen by terrorists, in particular agents of the Al Daeda cell? They could siphon your hard earned money in support of terrorist activities, all this, without you knowing it!'...Oh puleeeeeze and it is Al Qaeda .

'PasswordSecure is backed by Triple DES CBC' Que¿ This website is better than an Only Fools and Horses script :-))

Forum Editor 17:48 10 Apr 04

of 'secure' password utilities available, and they won't reveal your passwords unless you enter the correct......................password.

My own view is that it's far better not to write passwords down anywhere. No location is entirely safe, and it's better to come up with a password system that doesn't involve lots of different alpha-numeric combinations. I use a simple little convention that ensures my passwords are unlikely to be guessed by anyone else, but can be easily recalled by me. I've never needed any kind of password manager.

TOPCAT® 18:57 10 Apr 04

Seems I've got quite a bit of (Easter) egg on my face then. :o)) And here's me thinking it could be associated with MS in the first place!

Oh well, there's always someone that can't spot at first hand the obvious and this time it was me!! Thanks to Gandalf for the humorous response and URL. I'll check it out.

I am intrigued, Peter, to hear more of your "simple little convention " so if you could kindly enlighten me further I'd be grateful. By e-mail if appropriate of course. Am rather nervous my passwords could be stolen one day.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll now close this thread in utter shame! :o) TC.

Forum Editor 19:23 10 Apr 04

lots of people wonder about the validity of these messages. At the moment there are thousands of people receiving emails purporting to come from BT internet services. The mails contain attachments with viruses, and lots of people have opened them. This is admittedly a slightly different scenario to yours, but you can see how easy it is to fool sensible people.

My password convention isn't something I can share unfortunately - doing so would compromise its integrity - but I can tell you that it's based on things you'll remember very easily. The trick with passwords is to make them meaningful to you, without anyone else knowing the start point. Lots of people choose passwords that are the names of people they love, like their partners and children, or their pets. These are relatively easy to guess, and a good software writer wouldn't take long to knock up a random word generator based on common human and pets names.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:24 10 Apr 04

I only use Roboform because it saves me entering passwords and user names on websites and it came bundled in with the superb Avant browser. It is very useful for ordering stuff on the Net as it will fill in all the lines and place your CC details in the form as well...all with one click of the rodent. Less to do with security and more to do with bone-idleness.

Stuartli 09:08 11 Apr 04

Microsoft has always emphasised that it NEVER sends out e-mails apart to those on its official subscribers' list.

Forum Editor 09:51 11 Apr 04

of bone idleness.

Stuartli 13:08 11 Apr 04

Join the club...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…