Passport matter

the hick 17:50 09 Dec 09

I dont know if this is really the correct place for query like this, but daughter just rang from college, is arranging next years accomodation with five chums, and the landlord has asked for copies of their passports as identity check. She wants me to scan the details page, email it to her, since they all confirmed thay had passports - why I dont know. Is this really a good idea, or is there nothing to be concerned about here? I am surprised at such a request, when they all have driving licences, which serve the same purpose.

wiz-king 18:14 09 Dec 09

What happens if she hasn't got one?

the hick 18:43 09 Dec 09

wiz-king, yes I don't know, but when asked by the landlord, they all confirmed they had passports. Sometimes think undergraduates ought to be a bit brighter!

961 19:10 09 Dec 09

The only saving feature is that he didn't ask for the original

It never ceases to amaze me how many organisations expect you to quite happily commit your original passport and other documents to the postal system. Even if you send them by special delivery they are quite ready to send the stuff back in the ordinary mail

I don't really think the request is the end of the world. He's prudent to ask for proper identification and a copy seems ok

If it really concerns you can the college not confirm her identity with some sort of photo card?

the hick 19:19 09 Dec 09

961, I think I had to send my passport to apply for driving licence after I lost that. Yes, they have student union cards, etc, but this landlord thought they are not good enough. For these sort of matters, ID cards are a good idea. I'll send the scan, no more worrying about it.

morddwyd 20:05 09 Dec 09

Since Baroness Scotland was taken to task for not having photocopied her housekeepers passport, or at least not having kept the photocopy, I would think this request a perfectly normal one.

BT 07:53 10 Dec 09

This is a fairly common request these days if you are buying or selling property, all to do with money laundering legislation, but as wiz-king says 'What if you don't have one'. I supplied my solicitor with a low grade scan of mine when buying and selling my property, but I would be a bit more wary of supplying it to someone like a Landlord.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…