Partitioning! is it worth it?

critic-al 12:59 09 Nov 03

I would like to here some opinions on partitioning of hard drives,with the price of hard drives getting cheaper and cheaper is it not better to get a second hard drive rather than the creating the some times troublesome partitioning of one?

rowdy 13:45 09 Nov 03

Partitioning using something like Partition Magic is not difficult or troublesome.

Hard Disks are also getting bigger and if you wish to spend parts of your life defragging 120Gb when only the first 5 Gb are fragmented then carry on.

Partitioning greatly assists in the organisation of your data/files/photos etc and also means that in the event of having to reformat you can restrict the reformat to the OS partition and not have to destroy perfectly good files.

BUT there are many who would disagree I am sure so it is very much a personal choice.

rowdy

critic-al 14:12 09 Nov 03

Thanks for your imput.

Diemmess 16:11 09 Nov 03

Totally agree with rowdy.

The fact that you understand what partitioning is, shows that you care about the maintenance of your computer.

The majority who buy a computer in a (we hope) ready-to-go state, will have a HD these days which has vastly more space than really needed. ........

So what happens, their single drive gets more and more cluttered, and by the time the system is running at snail's pace or is falling over, there are lost, duplicated and unnessary files all over the place. and much valuable data is gone too and a major rebuild of the OS is inevitable.

Better still eventually to have two modest HDs so that backup clones of the system can be stored on a different HD along with copies of any data that must be kept safe.

skeletal 16:38 09 Nov 03

I agree totally with the theory of partitioning and, eventually, I have partitioned my HD. However, in my case, I ran into severe problems (to be fair, mostly with Boot Magic rather than Partition Magic: I wanted a dual boot system), which took several days to sort out and only after I abandoned any hope of having dual boot.

Anything that plays with your HD can screw you up totally. Make a complete backup (including all your emails and contact names, the one thing I forgot to do, which was a disaster!), before trying to use this kind of software.

As it happens, my current configuration is not quite right, but I am loath to fettle because of the problems I had. I would probably only try to use PM on an empty disc now.

Others, however, seem to be able to use PM (or similar) without problems. Typical computers!

Skeletal

Dan 16:56 09 Nov 03

It depends why you want to do it.

I've partitioned previous machines using both Fdisk and Partition Magic with no problems under Win98se, but have since read of plenty of problem arising from Partition Magic and XP.

These early partitions were in some cases to split OS/Games/Utilities and user files up, and on others to create a contiguous chunk of hard drive for a program (Photoshop) to use as virtual memory.

If you're looking for more space in these days
of USB and firewire connections, then there's no harm in getting an external drive.

The problem of course with these large drives is, as previously mentioned, that defragging can take an absolute age. The more drives you have the less eggs in one basket, but the more maintenance required.

skeletal 17:16 09 Nov 03

Dan...that's interesting...I am using XP!

Skeletal

OneSirKnight 17:44 09 Nov 03

I agree that partitioning has its uses but i would not say that defraging was an issue against large hard drives,i defrag at least once a week,and do it when i am not using the PC,to keep my computer running happily, but i do have diskeeper pro latest edition which does the job a lot quicker than windows own defrag,
That would be an interesting topic maybe(How often do you defrag?)

DieSse 18:03 09 Nov 03

Once in a blue moon. I don't regard file fragmentation as a significant problem on modern systems.

Most files, once they are defragmented, will stay that way (as there is no reason they would ever get fragmented). So the only fragmentation that is likely to occur is on data files, system files that are modified by updates and/or useage, and newly loaded programs.

Socalled 18:46 09 Nov 03

DieSse
it all depends surely on what you use your pc for.
click here

DieSse 20:39 09 Nov 03

That's their opinion - it's not mine, for the reason I stated.

In addition on FAT32 disks, with large partitions, the minimum cluster size is larger than most non-multimedia files - files smaller then the minimum cluster size cannot be fragmented, by definition. Even on NTFS, with it's smaller cluster size, very large numbers of files are less than the 4K cluster size.

What many people think is fragmentation when they see defrag run, is simply free space in between files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…