Parental Control ISP / Software

Friend is looking to "protect" a 15 year old boy from the less seedy side of the net.

I've offered to examine all these sites for suitability but just got a funny look!!!

What is her best option? (apart from taking away his pc & giving him a calculator).

Any advice appreciated.

DieSse 12:19 30 Nov 05

Put * parental control software * into a Google search, and you can read about the several programs that are out there. Blockers and monitors.

Thank DieSse

Did that but was hoping for advice from someone who had real live experience of the controlling access - googling just gets me mag reviews which while useful dont tell the whole story :-)

Canis meus id co 12:58 30 Nov 05

Hmm, I heard a friend recently recommend freeware called Naomi.

click here for the site and download links.

Canis meus id co 12:59 30 Nov 05

And hopefully, you mean your friend wants to protect him from the *more* seedy sites on the net?!

Good point well made !! :-O

wee eddie 13:12 30 Nov 05

How Computer literate is this young man?

€dstowe 13:49 30 Nov 05

Continuing wee eddie's point, this parental control software may be fine for tiny tots but whichever or whatever parental control software you install for older children will be a total waste of time.

If your friend's son is interested in the less acceptable side of the Internet, he will know how to over-ride any nanny software or, if he doesn't know himself he will have a mate who does.

Far better to have an open relationship with the adolescent and accept that he is almost an adult and will have a very strong and natural desire for things that you, or his parents, might find dubious.

It is very natural but also very unfortunate that parents have so much difficulty accepting that their offspring grow out of being children very quickly. Remember back to yourself at that age or, better, get his parents to think back to that time and you should soon realise that their son is no longer a child.

pj123 14:33 30 Nov 05

I have to agree with €dstowe. I have 3 daughters and not one of them have had any restrictions placed on them other than me saying, "Please be careful out there".

They have free access to the internet and I can honestly say not one of them has abused the priviledge.

They are all over 16 now so I no longer have any jurisdiction on their lives.

Quite agree with all above.

The deal is that a female colleague pays for her nephews internet access - (why I dont know).

Apparently there was a problem with the PC and a PC friendly bloke sorted it but unfortunately told my colleage about all the sites her wee nephew had been visiting (spoilsport).

Reading between the lines it sounds as if the young chaps mummy wasnt too keen on him getting access to the net (dont know why) & would be horrified if she found out her wee darling had been beaver watching.

Aforementioned colleage therefore wants to do all she reasonably can to prevent the spotty teenager ogling on her tab & the possible repercussions if mummy walks in on him watching "Debhorah's adventures in Dallas" (or equivelant).

Anyway this is how she came to ask my advice & hence this thread.

Apparently he is averagely computer literate so PC based software (I imagine) might be relitavely easily bypassed so wondering about the ISP based option.

However.........Therapy for all concerned is indeed probably the answer.

€dstowe 14:41 30 Nov 05

No, therapy is only needed by the "young chaps mummy" who must accept the he is growing up and will have a perfectly natural interest in these things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…