packard bell,pc world warranty and upgrades

hugh-265156 01:50 08 Aug 03

hi all.i have a packard bell pc,purchased from pc world last september(along with a extended warranty)

i have made a few upgrades (graphics card,extra ram,new tower,cpu cooler) all purchased from pc world.i fitted them myself just to gain experience,even though my warranty entitles me to free fitting.

i have never had any problems with the pc itself and am quite happy with it.my last upgrade was the case which came with front usb connectors(my last had these also)and so far i have not been able to get them working using the leads that came with the new case click here

question? as everything has been purchased from pc world(and i still have reciepts)do you think i could get them to look at it for me?

i think the case usb connectors are faulty.(please read the click here)

thank you.

hugh-265156 01:51 08 Aug 03

ps. case was purchased in june this year.

Djohn 02:13 08 Aug 03

Morning huggyg71, sounds as though you have changed a Ford to a Vauxhall :o) Don't think original warranty applies here, even though you have purchased all the parts from PC World,Not much of original seems to remain! But if the USB connectors are faulty, then these should be changed under warranty. Good luck. j.

hugh-265156 02:17 08 Aug 03

thank you Djohn,i will give them a call in the morning.

Djohn 02:24 08 Aug 03

Might be a good idea to pop into PC World, [With receipts] and tower unit, explain that you have connected in the correct manner but the ports don't work.

They will most likely test it there while you wait, and if they find it's faulty, exchange for you. Anyway good luck, I've always found PC World willing to help if you ask them, rather than tell them. j.

hugh-265156 02:32 08 Aug 03

thanks again, will do that.i have always found them to be very helpful.when i first got the computer i created master discs and after checking them, found they were corrupted.not having a full copy of windows(only a restore disc) this was a big problem.

pc world ordered me a new ones.:-)

papa lazarous 16:02 08 Aug 03

Speaking as a PCW Tech...As long as your Mobo is the original one then you should be ok as this ensures that the recovery CD's will still work. You are allowed to upgrade whatever you like in your PC and your warranty will remain intact unless you damage the PC as a result. If your old case was an original PB and had front USB then in theory you should be able to connect the new case's connector to the same pins although this is not guaranteed to work as some of the PB boards have non standard connectors. PCW will probably want to book your PC for a day or two to have a look at it instead of doing it straight away.

Djohn 18:21 08 Aug 03

Any news!...

hugh-265156 19:55 08 Aug 03

i didnt have time today Djohn,will hopefully get a chance tomorrow.

"PCW will probably want to book your PC for a day or two"

i hope not papa lazarous :-?

Q-Bie 20:14 08 Aug 03

Hey, he's a good tech ;)

It just depends how many jobs are currently going on in-store, if theres a 2 or 3 day backlog obviously the techs won't be able to look at your pc right away. Although as he says, some mobo/case combinations won't work straight out of the box, it may be that the pins are in a different order and you'll have to strip them out of the little connector and rearrange them so they'll work.

spuds 20:26 08 Aug 03

I hope PCW will show you 'goodwill'. PCW took over my extended warranty from the Tempo administrators. Some complications occured, and I was informed by the local PCW store and DSG head office, that they did not mind me fitting upgrades. But as some of the original parts had been removed, the extended warranty did not cover the replacement parts fitted.They would only cover the original parts that were fitted at the time of the extended warranty purchase.If PCW had fitted the replacement parts, then they would have given cover via the 12 months manufacturers warranty. With you making mass changes from the original specifications, I think PCW could prove a problem, unless, as I have mentioned, they show goodwill, and the problem can be easily rectified with minimal cost. Sorry to sound a damp squid, but that is what I was told.Let's hope you fair better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…