PACKARD BELL J2301 notebook PC WORLD

F1VET 17:25 02 Feb 06

Hi, just joined the forum today, wish I had found it before.
Bought a Packard Bell J2301 notebook from PC World recently. The damn thing does nothing but freeze up when you try to get it to do anything more than the norm. Have increased the RAM.....Contacted PC WORLD online tech help, 3 times. Suprisingly, I have never had a response from them. Contacted their customer services who gave me a phone number where you have to pay them further for help. Obviously not impressed with their poor after service. Short of taking it back to them in the store, can anyone recommend anything.

Thank you

Forum Editor 17:43 02 Feb 06

"....anything more than the norm".

What are you trying to do, exactly?

Have you installed any new software since you bought the machine?

Presumably the problem existed before you added the RAM - was that purchased from Packard Bell by the way?

You don't say how recent this purchase was, but a computer that's constantly freezing in normal use isn't going to get better by itself. My advice, subject to your answers to my questions, is to get the computer back to PCW very quickly.

Dizzy Bob 18:21 02 Feb 06

Specs listed below. This is a fairly basic machine.

click here={06f120f4-b145-474d-84e5-574557d120b4}&CatID={18237274-bf11-46f4-8e9e-c790a2d183c5}

What uses are you putting the machine to?

DB

Dizzy Bob 18:22 02 Feb 06

The link didnt work - sorry, specs below.

DB

Specification
Component Description
CPU Intel® Celeron® M 360 (1.40 GHz)
Chipset SiS 661 Chipset
Memory 256 MB DDR SODIMM PC2700
Hard Drive 50 GB, 5400rpm Notebook Hard Drive
Video / Graphics Card SiS 661FX
CD / DVD Drive Dual layer DVD±RW
Monitor 15.1" TFT XGA (native resolution 1024x768)
Sound Card Sigmatel High Definition integrated audio
Modem SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Network Card SiS 900 integrated fast ethernet
Battery Li-Ion 6 cell battery 4400mAh/11.1V
Power Supply Delta® SADP-65KB A AC Adapter
Case Packard Bell Easynote J2 series case information
Mouse Touchpad
Serial Number Packard Bell Notebook SN format

F1VET 19:37 02 Feb 06

Thanks guys for your prompt response.
The notebook I bought in November and the problem was occuring before the extra RAM was added. The RAM was one of PC WORLDS, don't think it was PACKARD BELL.
" anything more than the norm ", for example I could be copying a document off the internet and pasting it into Word and it freezes, or online shopping where you get half way through buying something and freezes. I don't expect a lot from this machine as it was a reasonably low spec to what others were on offer, but you don't expect it to keep freezing. Doesn't do it every day, then the next time you use it, maybe 3 - 4 times during that day.
I suppose it will end up back down the shop, is this common with lowish spec notebooks, this is my first?

Thank you.

Kate B 18:34 04 Feb 06

How much Ram did you add to the machine? At the moment according to your specs it only has 256MB which is not enough to run XP happily, never mind do anything else. And I'm assuming that the graphics shares that memory with the system, too.

Also, I would do scans with all the usual applications - Spybot, Adaware, MS Antispyware and A Squared, plus a virus scan, and see if you've picked up any rubbish from the internet.

F1VET 22:42 04 Feb 06

Thanks Kate

I added an extra 512mb RAM, and I have spyware and antivirus all up to date. Just seems when you try to have a couple of things running at once, bang!!!! it freezes up. Shame as the notebook is otherwise very good.

Appreciate all the help received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…