Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus Scanner - feedback

Charlie Babbage 01:05 07 Sep 05

I bought the above scanner about a year ago after my original HP gave up the ghost. Unfortunately, I was strapped for cash (as usual!) at the time and this was the cheapest one I could find in PC World. Boy, in my view it really goes to show you get what you pay for.

Does anyone have anything posiitive to say about this beast? Although it has OCR, it has a quirkly default file name which is difficult to change. When I originally bought it, I had Windows ME. Then I changed to XP Professional and have had problems ever since. It will work a couple of times then won't copy anything saying cable not connected, which it is!

Phoned Packard Bell Helpline who said it needed a new driver. They appeared to be helpful and immediately emailed me a zip file with the new driver. The instructions received bore no resemblance to what was on my system. Emailed Packard Bell again but no reply.

Would be interested in views of other members. Options seem to be to phone PB again to see if they can be more helpful or bin PB and instal something else - any suggestions - can't afford much over £60.

AndySD 03:32 07 Sep 05
  pj123 10:24 07 Sep 05

or try this:

click here

jack 14:03 07 Sep 05

Packard Bell scanners are rebadged versions of a mainstream maker - Mustek I believe.

Scanners from the 95/98/ME era generally speaking
did not transfer to the NTFS system easily.
There were some 'high end' models that are dual but very few.
The problem is it seems to be that the scanner has its own 'processor'that controls the scan/tracking resolution and all that internally.
Those built for the DOS based O/S[95/8/ME] do not respond to NTFS commands.
Mustek and others did offer XP drivers allegedly to convert- the one I tried came in in no less than 11 separate 1 meg chunks and - didnt work.
So New scanner for Christmas it looks like.

Lotte 13:51 15 Sep 05

click here

As Jack has said they are rebadged Mustek devices.

When I upgrade from ME to XP the PB driver was really flaky.

Found this one and everything now is perfectly stable.

Charlie Babbage 14:01 15 Sep 05

... most helpful

Charlie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…