Ownership of faulty equipment

trevpearson 09:23 23 Aug 05

I ordered a computer which was faulty on arrival.
I spoke to the Company, no problem, a second one was delivered. The original was not collected.
The second one had the same fault. Spoke again to the Company, they admitted error and sent a third one.

Third one arrived, hurray, works a treat. First and second computers not collected.

I've spoken to the Company numerous times now, recieved an invoice (paid) for the working computer but nothing for the 2 duds.

The duds are still awaiting collection. Its been 13 weeks now.

Is there a point at which I can claim ownership of the two duds?

johnnyrocker 11:25 23 Aug 05

doubt it you could try writing saying you intend to charge them storage, that will get them out of your way.

johnny.

DieSse 15:01 23 Aug 05

"Is there a point at which I can claim ownership of the two duds?"

There probably is - I imagine it's a bit like unsolicited goods.

Give them notice in writing that unless they a claimed/collected within x weeks (make x a reasonable time - say 4 weeks) you intend to dispose of them as you see fit.

This isn't a legal statement - perhaps someone will see this and offer one.

DieSse 15:02 23 Aug 05

" Give them notice in writing"

By recorded delivery, of course.

Stuartli 15:12 23 Aug 05

Sounds very like a company that will not be remaining long in business...:-))

This has happened to me twice over the years with goods that were ordered and two of each were sent, separately in both cases over two or three days.

I immediately contacted the companies concerned and arranged for the extra items to be collected at their expense.

On both occasions they were not collected after I had waited in all day and further calls were made. Still no collections.

So I made no further attempts and, after a period of about three months, put them to better use...:-)

I'd done all I could and more - if businesses are so inefficient they deserve to fall by the wayside, especially as the goods involved cost into three figures.

Stuartli 15:16 23 Aug 05

Sounds very like a company that will not be remaining long in business...:-))

This has happened to me twice over the years with goods that were ordered and two of each were sent, separately in both cases over two or three days.

I immediately contacted the companies concerned and arranged for the extra items to be collected at their expense.

On both occasions they were not collected after I had waited in all day and further calls were made. Still no collections.

So I made no further attempts and, after a period of about three months, put them to better use...:-)

I'd done all I could and more - if businesses are so inefficient they deserve to fall by the wayside, especially as the goods involved cost into three figures.

Stuartli 15:19 23 Aug 05

Sorry about the double posting - it came up with a Database Error the first time and, yet again, the second time, even though the posting has gone through.

Midsman2005 15:26 23 Aug 05

I am sure I saw about this on the TV.

I think they suggested...

Send a letter by recorded delivery stating that if they do not contact you in writing to arrange collection of the faulty PC's within 28 days or you will claim ownership of them.

Then dismantle them and sell the parts on the Ebay :-)

Count your blessings! lol.

spuds 18:00 23 Aug 05

You can use the Torts [interference with goods]Act 1977. This give you the right to dispose of uncollected goods and sets out certain procedures that you must follow. This Act can get very complicated, and I would suggest before you do anything, is to consult with your local trading standards or free law advice centre. If you have household insurance, then you may have an additional legal section, which would give you the exact way to go about ownership.

trevpearson 00:15 24 Aug 05

Grateful for all the advice. Just doesn't feel right possessing them. After all, £1248 of computer equipment just left lying about!! I just cannot get it into my head that the Company doesn't seem to care about getting them back.

Trev

ade.h 21:14 24 Aug 05

If the thought of keeping or selling them makes you feel a little guilty, you could perhaps donate them to a local school or charity. I'm sure they'd be well appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…