Is this Overkill ?

freaky 15:19 16 Nov 06

Got AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus + AVG Anti-Spyware.

Also have Windows Defender, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot-Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster.

Seems rather a lot, any suggestions as to which of these I could do without?

Stuartli 15:21 16 Nov 06

AVG Anti-Spyware?

freaky 15:26 16 Nov 06

click here

Had it for a few weeks now!

Zaphod 3 15:28 16 Nov 06

AVG Anti-Spyware does exist funnily enough I have just downloaded it and am trying it out now. I think it used to be Ewido as they were recently taken over by Grisoft I believe.

Zaphod 3 15:28 16 Nov 06

Blimey give us a chance Freaky!!!

Strawballs 15:32 16 Nov 06

Ewido was bought by Grisoft

gudgulf 15:42 16 Nov 06

Seems reasonable to me.

If you are using the free AVG programs......as I am right now the AVG(formerly EWIDO) antispyware only gives you a limited time trial of its real-time protection.

Defender has decent real time protection so is a good thing to use alongside AVG av....as is SpwareBlaster.

The old stalwarts of Adaware and SpyBot S&D make usefull on demand scanners too (plus SpyBots Immunise feature)

I have the same set-up as you........errrr plus A2 for a bit of overkill.

AVG plus Defender assisted by the killbits of SpywareBlaster and SpyBot S&D, with Comodo firewall are the main on-access protection.

All the other scanners are used every so often (say once a fortnight or so) after a sweep with CCleaner.

That's my "freeware" security regime.

freaky 15:59 16 Nov 06

Correct if I am wrong, but AVG Anti-Spyware has a 30-day free trial. If you subsequently dont't buy it...then it still functions except that Updates have to be downloaded manually, and the Resident Shield is not active....you need to do periodic manual scans.

I presume that is what you mean by real-time protection.

Probabilitydrive 16:05 16 Nov 06

A word of caution, In the current issue of PCadvisor is an articel called "Too much Antispyware"?

Extract"...unfortunately, Windows allows applications (including Spyware..sic) interfere with one another and affect the stabiliy of the whole system..." and "...Any XP PC is likely...to become unstable".

One of the more well heeled forum member (I cant recall his name right now) reported a guy having 14 !!! anti-spyware apps running.

freaky 16:16 16 Nov 06

I have had no problems using the programs in my initial post.

However, you would get problems if you had say 2 Anti-Virus and 2 Firewalls running simultaneously.

I think the PCA article was misleading in this respect.

Probabilitydrive 16:31 16 Nov 06

freaky, the above referred to an extract about "Window allowing application to interfere with one another..."

It does't state that they have to be exclusivley anti-spyware apps.

In fact, the article states: "....(if a programme) is just sitting on the hard disk (.) It has no more potential to cause conflicts than any other application..."

A potential problem may occur if you have a lot of anti-spyware apps running. (As the above example of 14 !! dmonstrates).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…