Ordering from Overclockers

Kudu 19:48 19 Jun 03

I was ordering an item at overclockers.co.uk when the screen went back to the picture of the original item and i had to press buy and start again.Then i noticed during the ordering that my order had increased to two items so i went to shopping basket and changed it to one.

When i had finished i checked the order,my address,credit card details,no. of items and postage and everything was correct so i confirmed order.

A few minutes later i received an e-mail from overclockers saying they had received an order for 2 of these items and even the postage was double.

I immediately sent them an e-mail saying this was incorrect and i had only ordered one.

A standard type e-mail came back saying they would endevour to reply as soon as possible.

I then received another e-mail saying the order was packed and ready to ship.

Then i received another confirming an order (which i had not sent) for one of the item.

I sent overclockers another message saying i only wanted one item and had they not received my first e-mail stating that.

Another rather curt e-mail came in reply from them saying only " Sir.Your order has been dispatched".

So i am being sent 3 items (£90 + postage)when i ordered only one,no apology,no attempt to put it right and the stupidity to send me another extra one to make matters worse.

Anyone know where to go from here.

Mysticnas 20:05 19 Jun 03

..phone them???

-pops- 20:10 19 Jun 03

With internet ordering there is a button which must be pressed to confirm your order which is on the screen above said button. The order cannot be processed without this confirmation. You have pressed this button confirming that what was on the screen was correct.

As far as I can see, you have panicked and not only confirmed your doubled up order but also your attempt at correcting it, thus getting three items of the same.

I don't think it is overclockers who are showing stupidity. They are merely responding to your request for certain goods.

Kudu 21:06 19 Jun 03

I have over many years ordered dozens of items over the internet and had no problems.

I am not in the the habit of panicking and as i have already stated i checked this order to make doubly sure, as there were problems with the ordering procedure, as i already said in my post.

I reiterate the statement that i think them stupid,as they informed me they were sending two items and then went ahead and sent me another without me ordering it or knowing anything about.They are not as you said "merely responding to your request for certain goods" when they do this type of thing.

If you had read the post properly you would have known i did not order the third item.

Anyway,thanks for helping out overclockers they would be proud of you.

Mysticnas 21:30 19 Jun 03

are you ok?

are you suffering from high stress. It's just that i've noticed your replies of late have been ermm.... how do i put it, rarther ermm... a little...

oh i think you know what i'm trying to say.

Kudu... PHONE THEM!!!

Simply send them back when you get them. Whatever the reasons for the over-order you are covered by the distence selling regulations which give you a minimum of 7 days "approval" - dont open the packs that you dont want and send them back (you will be liable for the postage but that is better than a bill for £60).

Send them an email confirming that you will be returning them (they cannot refuse) and double check that their conditions as to how to return items. They should credit your card within 10 days or so.

-pops- 21:36 19 Jun 03

I have no particular interest in overclockers except insofar as I've occasionally bought hard drives from them but, be aware that when you complete these online order forms, it is an automated process done (believe it or not) by a computer. There isn't a little man sitting at the other end waiting for you to type in your requirements. That being the case, unless there is a complete breakdown of their system, there is only one way that this could have occurred. If there was a system breakdown, there would have been other similar instances thus they would have been aware of it and realised the error. - There would most likely have been multiple reports on here as well.

Why not do as Mysticnas suggests and phone them?

dirtyh 21:47 19 Jun 03

super firm to deal with prices are great,just phone them there very helpfull.

Kudu 22:30 19 Jun 03

Just been at there website again and managed to get 4 of the same item on order.It seems something to do with the confirm button and the cancel button does not delete but adds the deleted item to your order.Try it.

Thank for replies,will phone tomorrow and will let you know how i get on

PS. Anyone like to buy a cheap fan controller i think i have two spare.

RomQ 00:15 20 Jun 03

"I was ordering an item at overclockers.co.uk when the screen went back to the picture of the original item and i had to press buy and start again."

They use the standard shopping cart software by Actinic (click here). One of its more confusing idiosyncrasies is that it returns you to the item you have just ordered without making it obvious that it has been added to your cart. You made the mistake of assuming your order hadn't been added to your shopping cart (it had) and ordered again.

"Then i noticed during the ordering that my order had increased to two items so i went to shopping basket and changed it to one. When i had finished i checked the order,my address,credit card details,no. of items and postage and everything was correct so i confirmed order."

It sounds like you did exactly the correct thing by manually adjusting the quantity field to '1'. The order should have been amended. I don't know why your automated email confirmation showed '2' items.

"Then i received another confirming an order (which i had not sent) for one of the item."

No idea where the extra third one came from - unless you inadvertently pressed the Add button again without realising it?

"Just been at there website again and managed to get 4 of the same item on order.It seems something to do with the confirm button and the cancel button does not delete but adds the deleted item to your order.Try it."

The Cancel button does not delete your order. As it says on the site, "If you have made a mistake you can correct it now by pressing "Cancel", then on the page that loads press the "View Cart" button. You will then be able to remove items and adjust quantities before proceeding to the "Checkout" again." You can only delete items on the View Cart page.

I would be the first to admit that the Actinic software can be very confusing, particularly if the timeout is set low. If you think using it as a customer is bad, you should try setting it up as a webmaster for any retail website that is even slightly unconventional! I ended up having to hack the code out of all recognition.

Any retailer should accept that mistakes can be made on the shopping cart ordering system and, provided they are informed immediately, correct them accordingly. Your phone call should do the trick.

Kudu 12:40 20 Jun 03

Contacted them and even got an e-mail from managing director who is checking it out.

They say this has happened before and they say it is the browser on the the computer of the person ordering that is at fault.

I should have said that changing the no. of items manually did not work and i did eventually go to shopping cart and cancell the first wrong order.

Even though the first order was cancelled correctly their computer processed it then proceeded to process the second correct order.I was wrong in thinking they had sent it themselves,which is really what got me annoyed.

I still think there is a flaw somewhere in their system even though they are blaming it on the browser.They have told me to return unwanted items so i will do that.

Thanks for info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…