Orange phone upgrades

georgemac © 12:58 17 Jun 05

I have a contract with Orange for my daughter, 3000 free texts per month, £20 per month, excellent deal for her as she usually does about 750 texts per month (that would take me about 5 years!)

Her year is up, and she wants a new handset, so I phoned Orange, no fee (normally £75) to upgrade once your year is up, the Samsung D500 she wanted was £200 to upgrade. I decided she did not want this, and she went off on the web and found another deal with O2 for the same handset.

I phoned Orange to cancel my contract, why are you cancelling I was asked, so I told them. Well if we offer you a free Samsung D500 would you stay on your current deal - of course she would.

They are now going to phone me back within the next 2 days when they get the handsets in stock.

I could not believe a £200 charge could be dropped just like that?

Big_cda 13:16 17 Jun 05

Yes.

I went in to an orange shop one month before the end of my contract to ask about upgrades - I was told that I would need to pay an upgrade fee an a large fee for the phone, even though new customers got it free.
I said fine and left, then phoned Orange to give my one month notice. They asked why and I explained. They agreed then and there to upgrade me to the phone I wanted at no cost at all, the only condition being a new 12 month contract (fair enough - no problem). It was couriered to my office within 48 hours.

I once spoke to a revenue consultant at O2, (or something like that) and the view in the industry is 'why offer it free to everyone if some will pay'. Some will pay the silly charges, and the rest you can give it to when they ask to leave.

That is market forces for you.

Aspman 13:55 17 Jun 05

My T-mobile contract is just up so I phoned to cancel.
Same story why, blah,blah.
Got put through to a cancellations manager who offered to drop my £20 a month contract to £15 (low use tarrif) if I kept the phone, I said no so he offered to drop it to £5 a month.

I have friends who regularly play this game to improve their upgrade options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…