Orange Greed

tenordrum 13:08 25 Dec 07

Copy below is email received from Orange.

'It's probably something simple like your credit card's expired, or your bank details aren't quite right but we've had to add a £5 late payment charge to your account.'

It would surely be quite simple for Orange, (as they hold your credit card details including expiry date), to inform you that your card is soon to expire so that you could inform them of the changes.
All could be solved with a simple email reminder from Orange!
How many others have had this charge?
Sounds like an easy way of making millions--------well done Orange for ripping off your loyal customers?

HondaMan 13:18 25 Dec 07

tell them that unless they refund the payment you'll go elsewhere and DO IT!. There are a lot of suppliers who would be glad of your money and who will give you at least as good if not a better service.

grumpygramp 13:29 25 Dec 07

The ISP NDO.com informed me that my card was due to expire about 3 weeks from the due date .They also inform you if they think you are likely to exceed your monthly download limit .

ened 08:15 27 Dec 07

I take it it is mentioned in the Ts&Cs?

I am not suggesting it is right and I certainly have not read every detail (and rarely do) of the Ts&Cs of my isp.

These insidious charges are creeping into everything these days and I believe it is the price we pay for cheaper prices.

For three quarters now I have not paid this £4:50 charge to BT for the priviledge of paying them. I am waiting (as I assume they are) to find out if it is legal.

If they persist with it I shall follow the example of HondaMan and change providers. I have always been worried about this because, it being BT equipment, I don't know what happens if you get a fault. But our line rental is nearly FIFTY QUID and our calls around a tenner. Still they want to stick £4:50 on top!

tullie 08:25 27 Dec 07

How come you spend £50 on line rental,mines about £33?

Clapton is God 11:11 27 Dec 07

In fact your credit card never expires.

You should get a replacement card, from the card company, about 1 month before the old one reaches its end date.

The 'new' card will have the same number as the current card and that's all that matters.

If your card has reached its end date and you haven't received a new card, that's an error on the part of the card company - not Orange.

Why not pay by Direct Debit? Much safer and more convenient - and a Direct Debit never expires unless you cancel it at your bank.

Forum Editor 12:17 27 Dec 07

"The 'new' card will have the same number as the current card and that's all that matters."

No it's not.

Charges to credit cards require that the payee submits the end date of the card in question, and usually the verification code as well, and that changes with the card.

Clapton is God 13:54 27 Dec 07

"Charges to credit cards require that the payee submits the end date of the card in question"

Not quite correct.

If you are on a rolling payment plan with Orange and using your credit card to pay (and from reading tenordrum's initial post that would be my understanding), the expiry date is irrelevant.

As tenordrum says "they (Orange) hold your credit card details" and, thus, Orange have all the info they need and there is nothing more for the customer to 'submit'.

I repeat my original observation - if your card has reached its end date and you haven't received a new card, that's an error on the part of the card company - not Orange.

Sheepish 15:07 27 Dec 07

My own ISP takes payment via worldpay.com, and when my card expired I got the following.

IMPORTANT: The following transaction has been rejected, so we are unable to process the payment.

Reason for payment failure: Card has expired

The most common reasons for payment failure are that:

* Your card has expired/been cancelled.
* The credit limit on your card has been reached.
* Your card details have changed but your agreement has not been updated

which does imply that when they charge the credit card they need to supply a valid expiry date that hasn't passed. I had five days to update the details and there was no late payment charge levied. I'm also on a rolling monthly payment with Lovefilm, and they sent a reminder email a month before my card expired requesting me to update my account details. So, there are companies out there showing a better track record on this than Orange.

ened 15:32 27 Dec 07

"How come you spend £50 on line rental,mines about £33?"

Come and live in Cornwall - our water rates are £810 for a two bedroom flat!!!!

jarani 17:27 27 Dec 07

I had the same problem with orange penal deductions a year ago with my credit card and they would not budge - too much bother to change isp and the email address and they count on it - in my case they notified me ahead of time but I assumed it was a spam email from the way it was worded - we live and learn - there should be a less stressful way to change isps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…