Opinions on external Hd's

SB23 17:12 30 Dec 07

The reason that I ask is the fact that, the one that I was given , by the sounds of it, is on its last legs.
I've looked online and in catalogues and have seen Freecom, Western Digital, Seagate, Philips and so on, but the problem is I want one that is plug and play (USB), and is easy to use,(idiot proof, lol!)
I can't ask my friend, who donated this one to me, as he is 200 mile away, (I've since moved), and I can't reach him on the phone, and I can't tell what my present one is, because the badge has unstuck.

Any suggestions out there, and are there any that come with backup software, oh, and I'm on Xp.
Budget would be around the £80-£100 mark.

Thanks

Steve

stylehurst 17:14 30 Dec 07

Any of the ones you mention are OK. Personally I have used Freecom for many years

stylehurst 17:15 30 Dec 07

Sorry I forgot the backup bit. Personally I would use Acronis True Image which can be downloaded from their site

DANZIG 17:16 30 Dec 07

I've got a Freecom external hard drive - £60 it cost me and I've had no issues with it at all.

Bapou 18:17 30 Dec 07

I have two Freecom externals, no problems at all.

After saying that, the Maplins Sale insert in my Sunday newspaper caught my interest with their offers on Seagate Free Agent Desktop drives from the whopping 750gb @ £119.99 - 250gb £49.99 or 120gb Free Agent Go, also £49.99.

Within your budget price a couple there.

€dstowe 18:24 30 Dec 07

Be careful with plug 'n' play.

It is not UNplug 'n' play. You MUST unplug according to the correct Windows procedure otherwise there is a likelihood of wrecking the drive if it is removed whilst the drive is still active (which is not always obvious by looking at it).

Having said that, I couldn't manage easily without external drives. I have Western Digital and Seagate ones as well as some Maxtor drives which I have put into cases myself.

SB23 20:44 30 Dec 07

Thanks so far, still checking out the competitors for prices, lol.

In a certain catalogue I've seen a Buffalo 250Gb Drivestation for £79.99, with backup software and security.

Sounds really good for 250Gb, but I've never heard of Buffalo.

Kemistri 21:30 30 Dec 07

"I've never heard of Buffalo". That surprises me; it is a well known and trusted maker of (primarily) networking equipment and has been around for quite a long time. No doubt its HDDs will be supplied by the likes of WD or Maxtor and placed into Buffalo's hardware, which is how a lot of external HDDs are built.

MCE2K5 21:44 30 Dec 07

My Buffalo LinkStation Live™ 500 GB HS-DH500GL has got this click here inside it, Works Very well indeed.

Stuartli 10:36 31 Dec 07

I have the 400GB Seagate One Touch external hard drive which comes with its own backup program (BounceBack).

It was purchased from Scan for £53 during a TodayOnly offer, but the current version is now 500GB and £65. See:

click here

Very easy to use; check out whether/whenever it's on offer by going to:

click here

In the past I've paid £65-£67 each for 6.4GB, 20GB and 60GV internal hard drives, so you can get a good idea of just how cheap as chips current hard drives prove..:-)

Stuartli 10:45 31 Dec 07

Just to give you an idea of the TodayOnly bargains, the Samsung SH-S202J/BEBN DVD rewriter is currently being offered at £13.02 including VAT...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…