Opera 8, out now!!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:49 22 Apr 05

Opera 8 final version is now available. Don't use Firefox, use the best browser now. I've been using the beta since it was released with no problems. Version 8 is the best to date.

Ancient Learner 21:03 22 Apr 05

I have 7.52. Is V 8 worth paying again. What is the price?

TomJerry 21:19 22 Apr 05

it works

powerless 21:36 22 Apr 05

I just registered it!

Ancient Learner 22:30 22 Apr 05

Well, as is 'normal' for me, things haven't gone right!

I downloaded the upgrade OK, and in accordance with the info given about installing it, I installed to the same folder that my 7.5 was in. That worked fine.

Then -then - I tried it and found that I had lost all my carefully saved 'Bookmarks' and all my personal details, cookies etc, I couldn't even get to this site without putting in my Email address etc.

Panic.

Restore thinks I. As usual when I really need it, after it mucks about it kindly tells me that it failed and that I should try a different point - the point I tried was just prior to downloading this update.

Thank goodness for Ghost, which I have on a weekly increment for all my drives. Used that on 'C' drive and on the drive containing my programmes and at least I am back where I started and the blood pressure is subsiding now.

So what did I do wrong I wonder. Can anyone tell me please?

I find it beyond all understanding that an update should create all this anguish.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:04 23 Apr 05

When I install anew version of Opera I install it to it's own folder so that the old version remains intact and still usable. I can than import the bookmarks and copy the old wand file to the new version.

bremner 10:11 23 Apr 05

Have had problems with v8.

Is much slower loading pages and has a conflict with Links 2003 for some bizarre reason.

Back to 7.5 for me.

Ancient Learner 15:32 23 Apr 05

This is sending me crazy. I've tried again, installing into its own folder, but I can't find how to get the Bookmarks transfered. Indeed, I don't know where they are kept or how to do it, and the help files are no use at all.

The 'Opera6.adr file that seems to be the one I want, doesn't seem to be anywhere according to the 'search'.

Having both versions on the PC at the same time seems to be producing problems of confusion, so I tried to get back again. Needless to say once again the System Restore refused to do its job even though I had taken a point just before I tried the re-installation. Again, I've had to use Ghost. This is getting daft.

Someone on here keeps saying that it is all not rocket science, this is to me.

Ancient Learner 19:37 29 Apr 05

Done it at last. I had to save my Bookmarks to a separate place, my Docs, from where I could recover them. Why on earth the update didn't do it itself is v.poor. Anyone with half a mind would appreciate that on an update it was important to retain these kind of things, and not overwrite them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…