Open Office Pre-installs

jz 22:21 26 May 06

Just wondered if any manufacturers pre-installed Open Office on their PCs. I don't want to buy a PC, I'm just curious to see if Open Office is gaining any ground of MS Office. There was a lot of noise when V2 was released, then everything seemed to go quiet.

Forum Editor 22:46 26 May 06

from Speakers Corner

Jimmy14 23:31 26 May 06

I think everything has went quiet due to Microsoft releasing Office 2007 beta versions. I have now got the beta 2 of office 2007 and I must say it is excellent and 10 times better than the 2003 version. I shall be buying it when it is released.

Belatucadrus 10:59 27 May 06

I've seen Star pre installed, but not OpenOffice. Seems odd as it's vastly superior to the Works package that some manufacturers supply.

€dstowe 12:18 27 May 06

Perhaps it because OO is freeware so computer sellers can't include it in their claims of "software worth thousands of £££££ included for free"

I agree that it is much superior to Works.

jz 23:32 27 May 06

It was MS Works that I had in mind, not MS Office, that I though Open Office might start to displace. PC manufacturers could sell their PCs a bit cheaper than those sold with Works pre-installed, but still claim that they had an office suite on them, so it has surprised me a little. Yes, they can't claim that they have lots of software on their PC worth ££££, but they can offer a PC with an office suite at very low price (the same price that they can offer the PC without the office suite).

Perhaps customers see MS Works in the adverts, and think it's a slightly cut-down version of MS Office, but Works is a very poor version of MS Office in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…