'Open' and 'Closed' questions in PC A polls

wee eddie 18:14 18 Jul 03

I have just been boning-up on my interviewing technique as the last two employees, I took on, did not turn out as I expected.

One of the main planks of an article I read, was about the need to use Open rather than Closed questions.

I have just responded to this poll and when I transferred to the results page, I got to read the previous Polls. In the the light of my new found, but partial knowledge, it seemed that many of the questions are of the closed variety.

How do you all say?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:25 18 Jul 03

The questions are merely a straw poll....nothing else. They are not intended as a class sampled response nor as an occupation sampled response. I think people are looking too deeply into a simple poll that is based on 3 to 5 choices. the polls are not that important, choosing an employee is somewhat more important.

G

wee eddie 18:48 18 Jul 03

The way a question is phrased can be indicative of the answer preferred.

I was not putting up a criticism but offering a subjective point for future poll writers. I am not certain, but I think that no more words or answers would be required.

crx1600 18:55 18 Jul 03

my understanding of an 'open' question, is one phrased in such a way it requires some explanation, rather than a yes/no/don't know, single word answer.

most polls dont try to look any deeper than a simple yes/no/don't know, so a 'closed' question is probably whats required.

if PCA want opinions/experiences, they usually start a similarly titled thread, and ask an 'open' question.

Sir Radfordin 19:22 18 Jul 03

Open questions tend to lead to qualitive results and closed questions tend to lead to quantitive results. You can only really do stats. analysis on quantitive results.

BrianW 20:03 18 Jul 03

Closed questions are OK. leading questions aren't - Don't you agree - (LOL).

wee eddie 21:21 18 Jul 03

BrianW - that's the thing.

I'll never get this PC (Politically Correct) thing right.

Sir Radfordin 22:13 18 Jul 03

...what does it matter anyway, we all know 87.5% of stats are made up :)

wee eddie 22:16 18 Jul 03

I give my bank manager each year.

Booker Prize stuff!

wee eddie 22:19 18 Jul 03

you have managed to clarify my mind, and also with any luck, got the mind of whoever sets the Polls churning a wee bitty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…