ONSPEED tried and tested

Blokka 07:19 06 Feb 04

Just thought id share my experience with you all as you may or maynot find it useful, im talking about "ONSPEED" the company that says it can deliver broadband speeds via a 56k connection as well as ISDN.
Me and a friend have both got it he has 56k i have ISDN and i must say it definatley works.
It a very cheap alternative to broadband and ven better if your stuck with a 56k connection.

georgemac 07:55 06 Feb 04

click here sounds good, but I'm dubious about the effectiveness of compression software, does it work for software downloads?

click here a review by the gaurdian, increased speed when downloading pages with lots of graphics, never increased download manager speeds. Compresses the graphics so not sure if quality is affected?

Would be an interesting test for PCA?

Stuartli 09:07 06 Feb 04

Why pay for something that you can have for free and which, presumably, is exactly the same thing?

I keep posting this link:

click here

which is well worth a try.

One thread on the subject:

click here

georgemac 09:51 06 Feb 04

I installed the registry tweak a couple of days ago, nit sure if I can see any difference, perhaps a little faster.

Blokka 09:57 06 Feb 04

not to sure on the download side of it i havent realy put that side to the test yet but for 24.99 for a whole year and if you find it does nothing for you theres a 14 day money back guarantee

Stuartli 14:38 06 Feb 04

Onspeed, like the above tweak, probably downloads text pages faster but will almost certainly have little effect on graphics etc.

But under no circumstances would I pay £1.99 a month for it, which was an offer I received from a (reputable) organisation a week or two ago.

josie mayhem 19:27 06 Feb 04

Thanks, I tried your tweek, and well not bad.

At the moment I'm using 56k, which has been a nightmare (changing BB providers long story)

It has enable my 56k to act nearer to the BB I'm used to having. Not sure how downloads will go haven't tried yet!

Or put in in my work colleagues words "It's a bit of alwright", a one time something for nothing.

Kalitechnis 20:04 06 Feb 04

I have tested Onspeed, and I can assure everyone that it downloads text and graphics -heavy sites at 2to 3 times normal speed, using a 56/v90 modem.

The graphics are compressed and turn out fairly corrupted, but if this is not of importance I think it's very good. You can always deactivate it temporarily to redownload a graphic/page normally.

I will gladly pay the £24.99/year when they bring out the version that supports Opera-my default browser.

I'm impressed with it's performance.

K.

Kalitechnis 20:12 06 Feb 04

By the way Stuartli,
I tried out that reg tweak a couple of years ago..it had no percieved impact on performance.
Onspeed's effect, on the other hand, is dramatically apparent straight away.
I must say that a few sites were only 20-50% faster. But these were in the minority.
I emptied my IE temp files each time, btw.

I would recommend all who do not intend getting Broadband for whatever reason to try it.

K.

JAMSARNNIE 23:34 06 Feb 04

Might be as fast BUT can you use your 'phone while surfing?
JAMSARNNIE

Blokka 08:18 07 Feb 04

JAMSARNNIE-Might be as fast BUT can you use your 'phone while surfing?

No you cant but then its not BB, it only claims to do 70% of what BB can do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…