An onsite warranty means

D-P-R 02:10 06 Aug 03

Is the latest poll asking what we think should happen or what does happen?, often two very different things

Lú-tzé 07:07 06 Aug 03

I read the poll as asking what we understand by onsite warranty, however we come by that understanding.

Wes Tam ;-) 11:15 06 Aug 03

The PCA polls can never be scientific because whoever formulates them invariably leaves the question and/or the choice of answers open to different interpretations.

tenaka 11:19 06 Aug 03

little point running that poll

people who are customers and are not involved in "the business" will always vote option 1.

the second option is more realistic

the third option is possible and will always elicit complaints of "not worth the paper it's printed on" or "what have i paid for then".

As you might have guessed I am one of the ones in "the business".

For those who might be reading this post after the poll has closed, this is the poll and the three options;

PC Advisor poll - An onsite warranty means

1, the supplier will send someone to fix any problem
2, the supplier will talk me through diagnosis on the phone first...
3, even then, some problems can't be fixed onsite and my PC may have to go back to the supplier

tenaka 11:20 06 Aug 03

sorry, should have used double returns to make it easier to read;

3, even then, some problems can't be fixed onsite and my PC may have to go back to the supplier

-pops- 11:56 06 Aug 03

Even in option three, someone ought to come out an diagnose the problem.

I used to think it facetious when comments on the lines of who's site - yours or theirs but it's not funny, it's fact - the on site means on their site thus rendering the warranty misleading (to say the least)

no1ghoul 12:29 06 Aug 03

If I was A first time buyer I would definately vote for option 1 but as I am not A first time buyer I know that that is impractical when most "problems" are due to software issues and can be easily fixed with some help over the phone therefore allthough it may well be called "on-site warranty" it still makes more sense to try to remedy the problem on the phone first then if there is no joy after trying most things with tech help on the phone, they should definatley then come pay you a visit and hopefully fix the problem.
As for option three if that is genuinely required it should be the last resort and the manufacturer involved should then agree that it will take no more than 7 days and will definately be repaired or exchanged and not just simply sent back to the customer in the same condition as before

Sir Radfordin 13:18 06 Aug 03

The answer should be that an onsite warranty means whatever the terms and conditions of the contract are.

iscanut2 13:37 06 Aug 03

I agree with D-P-R...We know what it should mean, but what it actually means is very different. They NEVER agree to send out an engineer without doing everything possible to avoid such action. the merest hint of what might be a softwatre problem, then you are on your own..Sorry Sir, we only cover the hardware !!!

tenaka 14:57 06 Aug 03

Seems to me to be a valid way of getting people's opinion.

In this case something that a lot of consumers may be concerned about.

It's interesting to see if people agree with me or disagree in the poll. And interesting to read other people's views in this thread.

Wes Tam ;-) 15:28 06 Aug 03

tenaka even the answer options are out of sequence.

I voted 3, because I would expect 2 first then when that doesn't work 1, and if their techie can't resolve it then 3.

From your comment "the third option is possible and will always elicit complaints of "not worth the paper it's printed on" or "what have i paid for then" I assume that either you or myself must join D-P-R in not understanding either the question or the options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…