Online storage for Photos

bear73 13:53 27 May 04

Hi

I am tryign to find out the best ways to store my photos and keep them safe. We had a disaster recently when the CD with all our photos on got corrupted for some reason and ended up blank. We have hard copies of some of the photos but basically lost loads. We would have had them all in My Pictures aswell but our PC had come back from repair having loast the hard drive (don't ask we have had serious bad luck recently) and we hadn't got round to loading them back onto the pc from the CD.

Anyway, would it make sense to have them stored online somewhere? I believe you can do this for free on some sites and that if they are stored on the internet it doesn't use the memory space on the pc - is this right? Also, how safe is it to have all your photos out there on the WWW?

Thanks

byfordr 14:16 27 May 04

Unless you pay for it I don't think the storage you get online would be enough. Yahoo give 30mb photo storage space with each yahoo account for free (I suppose you can always open multiple accounts) Probably the best bet is get a second internal hard drive (120gb £60, 200gb under £100)then store them on there. (Also placing a copy on the main drive for important ones) Do several copies to cd or dvd (using different makes, and lodging a copy with relatives if you really want to be safe) External hard drives aren't expensive anymore if you want to be really sure)

R

Sapins 15:50 27 May 04

Hi bear73, have a look at click here

You can store up to 200mb for free, and you can invite people to view them.

They also would like you to have your photos printed via them and buy other products which are photo related, but there is no pressure at all.

Regards,

Sapins.

bear73 19:15 27 May 04

I've just had a look at Pixum and it looks great. The cost of 6 x 4 prints is half what I pay at the online BootsViewer aswell.

Thanks for your help.

Dinks

Sapins 20:13 27 May 04

Glad to help, I've started filling up my space and inviting family to look at the photos.

Beann Syrup 00:36 31 May 04

You can recover your photos from CD with a copy of Bad Copy Pro. I downloaded it, but can't remember the website (go to google and type in bad copy and it will come up - it's American).
You get to try it and if you can see your pics coming up you will have to send them money (about £20, I think) and they will e-mail you a number to activate the programme properly and let you get your pics back.
I thought I had lost a whole CD of pics but PC Adviser site saved my life when someone told me about Bad Copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…