online shopping security

aramis 08:54 14 Mar 04

when you make an online purchase and go to the ckeckout to enter all your personal and payment details, should the closed padlock sign be visible on all sites or are there sites that do not show a padlock. If so what do you look for.

Stuartli 09:09 14 Mar 04

You should always look for the padlock - if you are going to pages that have both secure and unsecure modes then you should be given a warning.

If you open IE and click on Help, then About Internet Explorer, you will be able to find out if the Cipher Strength is 128 bit; MS used to inssue a patch to update IE to this level of encryption but I would think it is now standard.

Stuartli 09:10 14 Mar 04

This Microsoft page lists all aspects of Security settings etc:

click here

aramis 09:51 14 Mar 04

My security settings are all ok.128bit. Is it possible for a site to show no padlock but still be secure? ,possibly show another sign or logo.

spuds 13:05 14 Mar 04

Look for https://

Plus some site will inform you, that you are entering or leaving a secured area. Look for a logo,this maybe Thwaite etc. If you click on that logo, then it will confirm any security system being used.

If in doubt,Don't use, and try to make contact via landline.

Stuartli 13:30 14 Mar 04

I would avoid any website that doesn't indicate full use of security systems - any reputable organisation will ensure that these are all in order.

However, you sometimes get a message that a security system's authentication is not up to date, but this is normally not something to worry too much about if it is a respected organisation.

aramis 14:25 14 Mar 04

Do I take it then that the small padlock that used to appear at the bottom right of the screen may or may not be displayed.

pj123 16:39 14 Mar 04

If there is no padlock don't order. You could email them and ask them why though?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…