online shopping

citadel 20:11 05 Dec 05

I have recently started buing items online using a visa electron debit card. Today when attempting to buy an item I got the card refused message. I wondered if this is a normal occurance, there is nothing wrong with the card as I made a purchase from another site a few minutes later. {A somewhat panic buy.}

pj123 10:49 06 Dec 05

Only thing I can think of is some retailers do not accept Electron cards.

For example: I am not allowed to accept Switch, Solo or Electron cards.

Stuartli 12:02 06 Dec 05

I thought there was a comparatively small credit limit on Electron cards?

Belatucadrus 12:04 06 Dec 05

Some of the security checks used are nit picking in the extreme, if the address you entered doesn't match the one on the card companies records EXACTLY then some transactions are refused.
Depends what verification procedure the site uses, it's not normal, but not unheard of either.

spuds 12:30 06 Dec 05

Agree with what as been stated above.

Remember that Debit Cards give very little protection with on-line purchases, best to use a credit card.

pj123 18:21 06 Dec 05

And remember that even a credit card only offers protection if the purchase is over £100.

Stuartli 00:25 07 Dec 05

Some debit cards (Visa type) now provide very similar protection to a credit card version.

My Halifax debit card, formerly Switch, is now a Visa version in common with a LloydsTSB Trustcard, which I first took out in 1985.

The Halifax description of the Visa debit card is:

"Visa Debit facility card which allows you to use cash machines and pay for goods and services in the UK and abroad."

According to the HVOS Press Officer on this website:

click here

"Oh and on the question of Section 75 and debit cards...

"Visa Debit is covered under the Visa scheme and, therefore, you have the same protection as a Visa Credit Card. !You do not get this with Switch."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…