Online Purchases - How do you get it delivered?

siliconbits 02:11 02 Mar 04

I have just started to taste the pleasures of home delivery but I have encountered some problems. Most of the items I have purchased require a signature on delivery and are too obulky and expensive to be forced into the letter box. What are the existing alternatives that might exist so that when someone is not there, delivery can still be done apart from neighbours.

Forum Editor 07:04 02 Mar 04

You've paid for your delivery by credit card, and the supplier has sent the goods by courier - it's in your own interests to sign for the goods, or to ensure that someone signs on your behalf.

The whole idea of the signing process is to ensure that the courier has a proof of delivery to show the supplier, and the supplier has it to show to you. Many suppliers will not make deliveries to any address other than the billing address for the credit card holder - this is to help prevent someone else using your card details to make a fraudulent transaction.

Forum Editor 07:04 02 Mar 04

You've paid for your delivery by credit card, and the supplier has sent the goods by courier - it's in your own interests to sign for the goods, or to ensure that someone signs on your behalf.

The whole idea of the signing process is to ensure that the courier has a proof of delivery to show the supplier, and the supplier has it to show to you. Many suppliers will not make deliveries to any address other than the billing address for the credit card holder - this is to help prevent someone else using your card details to make a fraudulent transaction.

siliconbits 07:09 02 Mar 04

what do you do in this case? Stay at home, take two or three days vacation? Give your phone number so that they can contact you???

siliconbits 07:09 02 Mar 04

what do you do in this case? Stay at home, take two or three days vacation? Give your phone number so that they can contact you???

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:16 02 Mar 04

If the Royal Mail, aka Consignia etc., deliver the item you can arrange for it to be delivered to the PO of your choice for about 50p extra. In the States you can have a parcel delivered to any gas station of your choice as well.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:16 02 Mar 04

If the Royal Mail, aka Consignia etc., deliver the item you can arrange for it to be delivered to the PO of your choice for about 50p extra. In the States you can have a parcel delivered to any gas station of your choice as well.

G

thisisnighthawk 08:22 02 Mar 04

I was under the impression that goods had to go to the address on the credit card, but both my kids who do not live at home, have their goods sent here because they work...and that is from one of the big companys. there must be some safeguards, but i can not see them..

thisisnighthawk 08:22 02 Mar 04

I was under the impression that goods had to go to the address on the credit card, but both my kids who do not live at home, have their goods sent here because they work...and that is from one of the big companys. there must be some safeguards, but i can not see them..

Sir Radfordin 12:25 02 Mar 04

Ebuyer is one of the few companies that will deliver to an address different to the cardholder (but only after the first purchase has gone to the cardholders address...unless you are sneaky!)

Scan did the same and a few others but they are the minority. There is little way round this and for good reason (though it annoys me no end!)

Depending on where you live you may find the local depot is on your way home from work or local to you so you could pop in and pick the stuff up from there.

There was recently a post on here where Amtrak had left a mobile number for the driver who was happy for the customer to pop round and pick the item up.

It does however make online shopping a bit of a hassle and is its major downfall.

Sir Radfordin 12:25 02 Mar 04

Ebuyer is one of the few companies that will deliver to an address different to the cardholder (but only after the first purchase has gone to the cardholders address...unless you are sneaky!)

Scan did the same and a few others but they are the minority. There is little way round this and for good reason (though it annoys me no end!)

Depending on where you live you may find the local depot is on your way home from work or local to you so you could pop in and pick the stuff up from there.

There was recently a post on here where Amtrak had left a mobile number for the driver who was happy for the customer to pop round and pick the item up.

It does however make online shopping a bit of a hassle and is its major downfall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…