One up to AVG.

pj123 22:39 08 Aug 03

I have had AVG free version on my PC for about 14 months now. Never had an alert, until today. I just received an email from a friend in France saying he has got an email telling him his account and email address is about to expire. He forwarded it to me. As I look after his website and email addresses I was a bit suspicious. It was addressed to admin@(hisdomainemailaddress).com from admin@(hisdomainmailaddress).com He said he couldn't open it to read. Just as well, it is a worm virus called mimail and sobig.e McAfee have it dated at 01/08/2003 originating from Russia. It comes as a .zip file called If anyone gets this delete it. AVG picked it up straight away and put it in the Virus Vault. It took me 1 hour and 27 minutes to delete it using McAfees detailed manual removal instructions, but it is still listed by AVG as being in the Virus Vault. Can someone tell me where the Virus Vault is stored please?

Falkyrn 22:46 08 Aug 03

check in your grisoft folder for an icon "avgvv" in the shape of a safe.

This can be run seperately from the main avg program.

Djohn 22:58 08 Aug 03

If you had been on your AOL account Pete, it woudn't have got through as AOL now have a virus checker on their sever as well. Regards. j.

pj123 23:21 08 Aug 03

Thanks John but it could have got through because it is a .zip file. Maybe that's a test. I could forward it to my AOL email address and see. I am on AOL 8.0 now. My friend in France doesn't know my AOL email address. Well, in fact, no-one does. Mind you, I tend not to check Attachments if I don't know who sent it.

pj123 23:27 08 Aug 03

Falkyrn. Thank you for your response. I found that file but it said "No Files Stored In Virus Vault" so maybe the deletion I did from McAfee cleared them all out. I have run another virus check with AVG and no viruses have been found.

leo49 23:51 08 Aug 03

Found system restore yet?? :o)

pj123 18:20 10 Aug 03

leo49. See my humble pie on the original thread.

leo49 22:57 10 Aug 03

You really should look at the date of posts - my prompt was posted BEFORE you conceded your error.

artist 18:06 12 Aug 03

I had no idea there was a virus vault - Thanks for pointing it out.:o)

Gaz 25 23:36 12 Aug 03
  expertec 09:00 13 Aug 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…