Oh Brother - High Quality Printers or what?

_PhilS_ 21:39 31 Oct 07

I purchased a Brother Laser multi-funtion printer (DCP 7010L) with one main thing in mind... 'image print density' since I wanted to print monochrome images on transparencies as photo-positives to be used in the production of print circuit boards.

This printer has a photo quality mode, can print on transparencies and pumps out 20ppm. Ideal methinks! Oh Brother I just couldn't wait. Novatech did a brill job from order to deliver over the weekend. So being easily set up I started to do test, after test, after test.

I conclude that whatever setting I choose to improve the toner density (or contrast) and image quality either using the printer's functions or the driver configuration software - all that is spat out is a rather grainy image. This is the case whether or not I waste transparencies or paper in my tests.

This printer has a high quality pixel density mode ((Max. 2400 x 600 dpi)) but the image that results is far grainier that what my old 300 dpi LaserWriter II gave me. OK it's fast at giving me what I don't want. Oh Brother - just what I needed to discover post purchase!

I know that HP (HP Q6611A) and Xerox (Xerox 3R12513) produce a glossy paper for laser printers. I enquired which glossy paper stock Brother recommends. Sadly, I had to educate the support guru at Brother about his claims that glossy paper is for inkjets... Oh Brother do these folks really support a business well?

The user manual is helpful in so much that there's little detail and the application help pages generally give just one line of text to describe a function.

Hunting around the web I also find that the Brother Laser line does not produce useful results if using photo-transfer films. So if you're thinking of buying a Brother laser model for monochrome artwork - think again would be my advice. Then buy anything but Brother

Ho hum! Oh Brother - is there something wrong with this printer or is it the entire range?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…