Office 2007 - backwards compatability

ZootHornRollo 16:22 08 Feb 07

I am about to buy a new Student edition of Office. It will be used mainly for Word processing.

Will documents prepared in Office 2000 and 2003 be capable of being read /modified in Office 2007?

I assume so but more importantly if I buy Office 2007 will the documents I create on that be modifiable on older machines running Office 2000 and 2003. A slight loss of functionality would be acceptable.

VoG II 17:04 08 Feb 07
  ZootHornRollo 22:49 08 Feb 07

i am more concerned about doing something at home that i won't be able to use at work where we have office 03 or at my son's college which also uses 03

terryf 00:28 09 Feb 07

Why not get Open Office for FREE? it is compatible with Office 2000 and 2003

powerless 10:29 09 Feb 07

In that case save all yours files in a format that WILL be compatiable with Office 2003.

In other words do not use *.docx but use *.doc instead.

When you save a file choose:

Save as type: Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc)

Or to have this as the default save type, click the office ORB [the circle thing with the office logo in it] top left.

Then select: Word Options [at bottom]

Then select: Save [at left]

Then select: Save files in this format:

You now can choose the default save type.

This applies to word but do the same for excel...

powerless 10:34 09 Feb 07

^ ...and 2000 will be included in the above ;-))

wednesday 13 23:40 10 Feb 07

I have it. files dont always work unless its in a file originally saved by office 07. So... if files dont open correctly ( a load of squares and the odd random word) create an empty document, save it as 97-03 document and copy the content from the one document to the blank one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…