reddwarfcrew 13:06 08 Jun 03

I've sold my old PC to a colleague from work, but he wants to updgrade to XP.

He hasn't got the PC at the mo, so I said I'd do a full install of XP as opposed to 'upgrading'.

We haven't gone out and got the upgrade version yet, but I have come across click here

Its seems to make sense to buy this as it cheaper than the updgrade, but am I missing something (there doesn't seem to be any requirement to buy any hardware at the same time).

Joe McG 13:10 08 Jun 03

you may be better off contacting the retailers, to see if it can be bought by itself.

I have never seen oem software being sold without purchasing hardware.

SEASHANTY 15:10 08 Jun 03

The windows oem versions are sold for use with a new computer build. This can include upgrades which include a new motherboard, or a new hard disk, or,I think, a new graphics card. It should have a qualifying product sold with the XP copy of windows. However - some resellers do not always abide by the rules.

microswift 15:43 08 Jun 03

I bought an OEM version of windows xp on its own from overclockers about a month ago, cost I think about £76 inc. delivery.

Djohn 19:43 08 Jun 03

You will find an increasing amount of dealers prepared to sell "OEM" without buying hardware at the same time.

I do not know what the legal position is regarding this, but can not find any reason for not doing so.

When I spoke to Microsoft, regarding a similar purchase, the Customer services dept. stated they where quite happy to allow the decision to remain with the retailer.

As far as they are concerned, (M/Soft), OEM may be bought with any item that is required to enable a PC. to function. Memory stick, mouse, keyboard, etc.

AlanHo 07:21 09 Jun 03

If you buy an OEM copy - you will not get any technical support from Microsoft. If you are happy to go without future support - then you can save money by buying OEM.

ardvarc 07:58 09 Jun 03

I have 2 versions of this running and I can recommend it. You get all the online updates and you can reformat your drive and do a clean install or let XP reformat for you. I have had this version since it came out on special offer many months ago. One bonus is that it never asks for a previous Windows disk and activation and reactivation is no problem. Downside is that the Windows Key is on a sticker on the wrapping and has to be stuck on case side so if you go for it be careful on opening the wrapping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…