Oem What do I get

phoenix_one 18:30 14 Sep 03

I was told that OEM software does not contain support from the manufacturor, I am confused.

If I build a new PC and buy a copy of OEM Winxp Home do i still get windows xp automatic update and a right to download future service packs and updates.

Thankyou in advance

JC

Rayuk 18:33 14 Sep 03

Yes you do,but you will not be able to phone or email Microsoft for support.

Forum Editor 18:34 14 Sep 03

you get all the updates and patches, but you will not get any telephone support from Microsoft if ever you need it. Under the terms of the OEM agreement your computer manufacturer is responsible for providing support for WindowsXP.

The OEM licence is restricted to one machine only by the way. Once a computer reaches the end of its life, so does the OEM licence.

phoenix_one 18:44 14 Sep 03

would it be legal to use the hard drive with oem software on it on your next build then. Or does that constitute the end of a pcs life

Rayuk 19:32 14 Sep 03

Have a read through the following link
click here
may give you an insight.

I would say that transfering the oem copy on a hard drive to another machine[unless it has the same components of the first]wouldnt work

tomhealy 19:51 14 Sep 03

If you buy an OEM version of the software from EBuer for example, what are you supposed to do for support?

tomhealy 19:54 14 Sep 03

Or even from EBuyer!

:o)

Stuartli 19:55 14 Sep 03

The reason you don't get support from the manufacturer is because you haven't paid for the privilege.

Buy the (dearer) retail version and you will receive the support - you can't expect to receive something for nothing.

-pops- 20:00 14 Sep 03

You get ample support from here. All for free.

phoenix_one 20:06 14 Sep 03

but really, thanks guys

R4 20:25 14 Sep 03

Usualy OEM is the same as retail except you get no free support and no Manuals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…