OEM SOFTWARE

pcwhizz 11:32 01 Sep 03

Isn't it amazing how easy it is to get hold of OEM software without buying any single non perhipals item.

You can purchse a full versuion of Win Xp Home OEM for £68 currently at EBUYER.co.uk

That's HALF THE PRICE! of the RETAIL VERSION

SO CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW LEGAL IS THE PRACTICE OF SELLING OEM SOFTWARE WITHOUT COMPONENTS?

tomhealy 12:17 01 Sep 03

Why are you complaing that it is cheap?

Would you prefer it to be twice the price?

Barrie_G 12:22 01 Sep 03

I suppose that they could always justify it by saying that not everywhere that sells computer parts sells OEM software.

You can build a system from parts from the likes of PCWorld but try finding a OEM copy of Windows on the shelves and your going to be looking for a long time.

Stuartli 19:35 01 Sep 03

Presumably, as with system builders, if you acquired an OEM copy (providing it is sold legally) any redress or problems would have to be addressed with e-buyer and not Microsoft.

Belatucadrus 10:38 02 Sep 03

I think it's down to Microsoft, if they decide the supplier is abusing the terms they supply OEM packs under they just cut them off. I suspect e-buyer shift sufficient product for them to turn a blind eye. Smaller retailers wouldn't be so lucky.

recap 14:12 03 Sep 03

Take a look at PCA issue 98 Oct 2003 (consumerwatch section page 76) for OEM licensing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…