OEM SOFTWARE

pcwhizz 11:32 01 Sep 03

Isn't it amazing how easy it is to get hold of OEM software without buying any single non perhipals item.

You can purchse a full versuion of Win Xp Home OEM for £68 currently at EBUYER.co.uk

That's HALF THE PRICE! of the RETAIL VERSION

SO CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW LEGAL IS THE PRACTICE OF SELLING OEM SOFTWARE WITHOUT COMPONENTS?

tomhealy 12:17 01 Sep 03

Why are you complaing that it is cheap?

Would you prefer it to be twice the price?

Barrie_G 12:22 01 Sep 03

I suppose that they could always justify it by saying that not everywhere that sells computer parts sells OEM software.

You can build a system from parts from the likes of PCWorld but try finding a OEM copy of Windows on the shelves and your going to be looking for a long time.

Stuartli 19:35 01 Sep 03

Presumably, as with system builders, if you acquired an OEM copy (providing it is sold legally) any redress or problems would have to be addressed with e-buyer and not Microsoft.

Belatucadrus 10:38 02 Sep 03

I think it's down to Microsoft, if they decide the supplier is abusing the terms they supply OEM packs under they just cut them off. I suspect e-buyer shift sufficient product for them to turn a blind eye. Smaller retailers wouldn't be so lucky.

recap 14:12 03 Sep 03

Take a look at PCA issue 98 Oct 2003 (consumerwatch section page 76) for OEM licensing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…